What's new

*** Official SAW VI Discussion Thread (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This thread is now designated the Official Discussion Thread for "Saw VI". Please, post all comments, links to outside reviews, film and box office discussion items to this thread.

All HTF member film reviews of "Saw VI" should be posted to the
[COLOR= #44708c]Official Review Thread[/COLOR].

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.

Crawdaddy

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I thought SAW VI was pretty good, about the same as #5, and both were better than #4.

I've read that the opening box office was poor for a SAW film, taking in only $14 million, whereas all the other films took in over $30 million right away. I've also heard that they're presently planning a SAW 7 in 3-D which, if true, would be just what this franchise needs to try and keep its head above water. Anyone know the facts on this?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Joe Karlosi

I thought SAW VI was pretty good, about the same as #5, and both were better than #4.

I've read that the opening box office was poor for a SAW film, taking in only $14 million, whereas all the other films took in over $30 million right away. I've also heard that they're presently planning a SAW 7 in 3-D which, if true, would be just what this franchise needs to try and keep its head above water. Anyone know the facts on this?
That's what I heard but I find it hard to believe that Lion's Gate won't make Saw VII. If Paranormal Activity hadn't been out, Saw VI probably would have made more than $20 million last weekend. I said it in another thread but Saw VI cost about $10 million so Lion's Gate is still going to make lots of money from the movie when all is said and done. I think they should look at making Saw VII the end of the series and use that and the 3-D as their big marketing points for the next movie. I'd be surprised if both of those didn't boost the grosses quite a bit.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
Travis - I just looked up some stuff. Although SAW VI has so far debuted the lowest of all the SAW films to date,it's still already made $21,000,000 Worldwide when itcost only $11,000,000 to make. Looks like things are definitely on track for a SAW VII, in 3-D. Just searching Wikipedia I found this information:

Future
Prior to 2009, Tobin Bell stated that he was signed on for a total of five sequels, with Costas Mandylor also being confirmed for another installment in the horror franchise.

In 2009, when discussing the future of the franchise, producer Troy Begnaud stated that if fan reception continued to be positive, the franchise would continue. When asked the specifics, he mentioned a 3D film as a possibility, but had not been officially discussed. Also citing continued fan reception, star Tobin Bell stated that possible seventh and eighth films could be made.

On July 18, 2009 it was reported that the writers of the fourth, fifth, and sixth entries, Marcus Dunstan and Patrick Melton, would return to write a seventh film in the franchise. This was confirmed later in the same month when David Hackl, director of the fifth installment, and producers Mark Burg and Oren Koules were also confirmed to be returning to make the seventh installment. During an event regarding the Dunstan and Melton penned film The Collector, it was confirmed that the 3D sequel will most likely be the seventh film, which is set to be released October 2010, keeping with the franchise releasing a film in that month. On October 14, 2009 franchise producer Mark Burg and Marcus Dunstan, co-writer of films IV, V, and VI, announced that Saw VII will be in 3-D and production is slated to begin in January 2010. In the same interview, Saw VIII was confirmed for an October 2011 release.

Box office performance - WORLDWIDE
Saw October 29, 2004 -- $103,096,345
Saw II October 28, 2005 -- $147,739,965
Saw III October 27, 2006 -- $164,874,275
Saw IV October 26, 2007 -- $139,352,633
Saw V October 24, 2008 -- $113,857,533
Saw VI October 23, 2009 -- $21,573,038 (1st week of release)

Saw film series: $668,920,751 (series budget: $47,000,000)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Interesting. I wasn't aware the SAW series was that popular internationally.

With those grosses, Lionsgate would be foolish not to continue the franchise.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks