What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Ghost Ship (1 Viewer)

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss

Ghost Ship

Studio: Warner Bros.
Year: 2002
US Rating: R – Strong Violence/Gore, Language and Sexuality
Film Length: 91 Minutes
Video: 1080P High Definition 16X9 - 1.85:1
Audio: Dolby TrueHD: English 5.1, Dolby Digital: English 5.1, French 5.1, German 5.1, Portuguese 5.1
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish, Chinese, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, German SDH, Norwegian, Portuguese, Swedish.

Release Date: October 6, 2009
Review Date. October 18, 2009

“Oh, God, you really are a f#@*ing ghost.”

The Film: 2 out of 5

As a life-long fan of horror films, I see entries in this genre as falling in three main categories. Not sub-genres (zombies, ghosts, serial killers, etc), but ways for me to consider the film I am watching. These three personally established categories give every horror film an increased chance of my enjoying it. It has no substantive value beyond my desire to find a way to enjoy, or at least appreciate everything horror related that I dedicate an hour and a half of my life to. Every horror film, to me, is meant to be either taken seriously (think of classics such as The Thing, Exorcist, Silence of the Lambs, etc), taken as popcorn gore (Saw, Final Destination, A Nightmare on Elm Street, My Bloody Valentine, April Fool’s Day, Mimic, etc), or schlock-horror (The Unborn, Stage Fright, Dawn of the Dead, Night of the Living Dead, etc). Regardless of what filmmakers, or other horror fans, may intend or believe of a horror film, if it fits within one of those categories, I can find a way to enjoy – or love – even the weakest entries.

When a film becomes an outlier, the casualty of an imprecise fit, or a failure of focus, execution, or success in settling new horror ground, it is an utter disappointment. Ghost Ship is just such a horror film – a horror tale more interested in slick visual effects than quality special effects, and more concerned with what it feels is a ‘cool’ idea, than any real attempt to explore that idea. It wants to be an action horror film – and in failing to effectively execute on that rarely successful sub-genre (I can’t recall a great action-horror film that did not rely upon comedy as a third leg) it cannot be forgiven for its lengthy list of faults and failures.

A sea-faring salvage crew, after a dangerous but successful haul, is approached by a young man interested in partnering his information with the talents and trade of the rugged collection of experienced ocean hounds. The film opens with perhaps its only great moment, a bizarre accident aboard the luxury Italian cruise ship, the Antonia Graza, in the 1960’s, which has an entire dance floor of poor souls sliced in two by a metal cable. Some logic cheats aside, the scene slips and slides its way into a promise of ingenious gore for the film– a promise which remains unfulfilled. It is a grainy picture of this ship which the young man presents to the salvage crew, and the trigger which sets them all off on a voyage to track this ship down in international waters, and claim (as is the law) the ship and whatever bounty may be aboard for themselves.

Naturally, all is not as it seems, and the dark secrets of the haunted ‘ghost ship’ wreak havoc on the crew – one at a time – until the big revelation, followed by the big ending, and neatly finished off with a moment intended to either drop your jaw or roll your eyes.  

Making the film especially disappointing is the quite impressive cast assembled for this feature. Gabrielle Byrne as the experienced Captain Sean Murphy, Julianna Margulies as his young right hand Maureen Epps, Isaiah Washington as the ships helmsman, Greer, Ron Eldard and Karl Urban as two teenage-brained adults, Dodge and Munder, both in serious need of a shower, Alex Dimitriades as Santos – the inevitable first casualty, and finally Desmond Harrington as Jack Ferriman (a last name about as unsubtle as a mallet to the head). This is quite a good cast, each trapped in a creaky, haunted ship that left port without the scares onboard. Ghost Ship’s most apparent weakness, beyond even that of its preoccupation with visual effects (effectly handled by director Steve Beck, a once Visual Effects art director with ILM), is the god-awful script that each of the capable actors must contend with. It is clear, in scene after scene, that the cast is aware of the tripe they are uttering – most notably from Byrnes even more muted expression than normal. Take this ‘character’ moment from Marulies’ Epps:

“You mean, what's a nice girl like me doing in a dump like this, instead of raising a family? Simple. I own a third of Murphy's operation, I'm not that nice, and these monkeys... are my family”.

Or this pretentious ‘wise captain’ moment from Byrne’s character, Murphy:

“I do know one thing. I've seen strange things happen in the strait. But I know something else. Sea gives you an opportunity you take it.”

If the lack of real chills doesn’t disappoint you, or the parade of predictable ghostly predicaments combined with the truly tired dialogue, then surely you have been watching a different film? Or perhaps, you have a different system of categories into which you slot your horror-movie watching experiences – in that case, you’ll get no argument from me!

The Video: 3.5 out of 5

Warner Bros. presents 2002’s Ghost House in its original theatrical aspect ratio of 1.85:1 in 1080p High Definition. While the image shows some impressive improvement over the DVD release, it is hindered by a pervasive dullness, a lack of pop or intensity in the colors, which brings down the overall experience. The close-ups demonstrate the best of the image, and retention of the film look is welcome.

The Sound: 3.5 out of 5

Despite having a Dolby TrueHD 5.1 audio track and delivering some good directional effects in the surround at times, the general effect of the audio is unfocused. The main dialogue is generally clear in the center channel, but when the action heats up, it can become indistinct across the front. The audio doesn’t kick in the way you expect it to, seeming to be held back, cautious even. The audio addles between effective and muddled – though thankfully it spends more time doing what it’s supposed to.

The Extras: 3.5 out of 5

Each of the special features is ported over from the DVD and presented in standard definition, 4X3 (though some are letterboxed).

Max on Set: Ghost Ship - (15:04) – This Cinemax special has the actors talking up the picture with Julianna Margulies even hopefully wishing the film were The Shining meets Dead Calm.

Secrets of the Antonia Graza – A silly puzzle that invites you to select the correct letters and unlock one of four stories.

A Closer Look at the Gore Featurette - (5:32) – An interesting look at the extensive effects work put into the impressive opening with interviews with the effects masters behind it.

Designing the Ghost Ship Featurette - (6:02) – Conversations with the VFX team, Photon, and the producer and director, discussing some of the augments provided, but mostly this is about the requirement that the ship be primarily shot as a miniature.

Visual Effects Featurette - (5:42) – Mainly a look at the ship, including art work and the miniatures – it includes footage from construction of sets and the work of the art department with some text facts.

Mudvayne: Not Falling Music Video - (3:10)

Theatrical Trailer – (2:15)

Final Thoughts

Dark Castle Entertainment, which produced Ghost Ship, was created by producer Joel Silver, and has been responsible for several flimsy horror films, including Thirt13en Ghosts and the House of Wax remake – and a theme can be spotted in these films – effects over chills. The only effective use of visual effects was in 2003’s enjoyable Gothika, where the effects were not employed to create the thrills and chills, but rather to enhance the sense of unease and madness that the main character was experiencing. Ghost Ship cannot be taken seriously as a horror film, cannot be considered pop-corn horror entertainment, and, if you’ll pardon the pun, misses the boat on being good ol’ fashion schlock horror – ending up a horror cruise you would do well to avoid.

Overall 2.5 out of 5

Neil Middlemiss
Kernersville, NC

hampsteadbandit

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
rob cole
I picked this up yesterday in an exchange shop here in London, I thoroughly enjoyed this film both on seeing it in the theatre when it was released, and on DVD

the Blu-Ray looks good, but not stunning

the film was still very enjoyable, its scary, smart and has a great twist at the end

the characters have alot more personality than is common in many of these films, and the special effects / model making is stunning

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks