What's new

Pre-90's Catalog Titles on Blu-ray disc - A non-USA alternately comprehensive list. (1 Viewer)

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
To compliment Brandon Conway's thorough work on the USA only thread (Shouldn't it also include Canada?), I'm making an alternate thread for those who'd like to keep track of releases of titles on Blu-ray of which are before the 1990's. Hopefully I'll keep track of all the various titles! There are even several which better the USA counterpart and others released in other countries first.
So if anyone would like to help out, I'd be more than willing to add titles. Just be sure to list the title, which country it's from, the year of original theatrical release and of course Regional coding. Now wish me luck in keeping up with titles. (Alot of various people do know I enjoy making lists!)

Below here will be the lists but this is just a placeholder for now. I'll be looking on that region coding site which lists titles. Should we also state the company which release the particular title in question?

[SIZE= larger]1920-1929[/SIZE]

[SIZE= larger]1930-1939[/SIZE]

The 39 Steps (1935) (ITV, UK, ???) - Arriving 10/12/09 to Blu
Gone with the Wind (1939) (Warner, UK, All) (Special note: This release is superior over the USA one. It doesn't contain the box o' junk various consumers don't want. These same consumers would much rather have the film.) - Arriving on Blu 11/09/09
The Wizard of Oz (1939) (Warner, UK, All) (Special note: Same reason as the Gone with the Wind entry.) - Arriving on Blu 11/02/09

[SIZE= larger]1940-1949[/SIZE]

Black Narcissus (1947) (ITV, UK, All)
Great Expectations (1946) (ITV, UK, All)
HAMLET (1948) (ITV, UK, ???) - Arriving 10/12/09 to Blu
HENRY V (1944) (ITV, UK, ???) - Arriving 10/12/09 to Blu

[SIZE= larger]1950-1959[/SIZE]

[SIZE= larger]1960-1969[/SIZE]

Belle de Jour (1967) (Optimum, UK, ???) - Arriving to Blu 09/28/09
The Ipcress File (1965) (ITV, UK, All)
The Italian Job (1969) (Paramount, UK, All)
Le Mepris (1963) (Optimum, UK, ???) - Arriving to Blu 09/28/09
ZULU (1964) (Paramount, UK, All)

[SIZE= larger]1970-1979[/SIZE]

The Big Boss (1971) (Kam & Ronson, Hong Kong, A)
The Boys from Brazil (1978) (ITV, UK, All)
Bugsy Malone (1976) (ITV, UK, All)
Capricorn One (1978) (ITV, UK, All)
The Deer Hunter (1978) (Optimum, UK, ???) -Arriving to Blu 09/28/09
The Eagle has Landed (1977) (ITV, UK, All)
Escape to Athena (1979) (ITV, UK, All)
Fist of Fury (1972) (Kam & Ronson, Hong Kong, A)
KING KONG (1976) (Studio Canal, France, All)
Kramer vs. Kramer (1979) (Sony, UK, All)

[SIZE= larger]1980-1989[/SIZE]

BATMAN (1989) (Warner, UK, All) (Special note: this release comes in a standard Blu case and doesn't have Digital Copy. A good alternative.)
Cinema Paradiso (1989) (????, Japan, All)
The Elephant Man (1980) (Optimum, UK, ???) - Arriving to Blu 09/28/09
HIGHLANDER (1986) (Optimum, UK, A & B)
History of the World, Part I (1981) (Fox, Holland, Italy, All)
Police Story (1985) (Kam & Ronson, Hong Kong, A)
RAN (1985) (Optimum, UK, ???) - Arriving to Blu 09/28/09
SUBWAY (1985) (Optimum, UK, B)
THE THING (1982) (Universal, UK, All) (Special note: this release is a BD-50 and contains ALL the special features unlike the US which is only BD-25 and the commentary.)
TRANSFORMERS - The Movie (1986) (Metrodome, UK, All)

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Originally Posted by Brandon Conway /forum/thread/292440/pre-90-s-catal...a-alternately-comprehensive-list#post_3602834

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Well fook this shite! I'm adding more titles to the list and NOBODY CAN STOP ME!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
When did this forum become a truck stop?

While we allow a limited amount of profanity on this site
for our members to express themselves, we need to remind
our members that there's a line that should not be crossed.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Originally Posted by Ronald Epstein

When did this forum become a truck stop?

While we allow a limited amount of profanity on this site
for our members to express themselves, we need to remind
our members that there's a line that should not be crossed.
I was just goofing around Mr. Epstein. If you'd like me to edit my post to be more suitable for goofing around just tell me.
I'd still like for the members who're not from the USA or Canada to help chime in on this thread. Including those who import. Do you also import Mr. Epstein? Get freaked out in a damn good way when you literally order something on a Thursday from Amazon UK and it arrives on Monday? Happened to me with Quantum Leap Seasons 2 & 3.
I'd just like to know how many people actually import on this forum. I sorta get the feeling it's slightly taboo to import for some reason so that's why I keep it on the QT.
I just thank the majority of the film companies from around the planet for a majority of titles being 70% no region.
What's a pain in the ass is wanting to buy titles from Japan but they're too cost prohibitive to me.
EDIT: I did quite like Sam Rockwell in Confessions of a Dangerous Mind.
What about having a wishlist sub-forum? I'm compelled making a list of titles I'd like on Blu-ray but unsure if I should just post it here in the HD Software forum.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_R ">[/url]

I'd just like to know how many people actually import on this forum. I sorta get the feeling it's slightly taboo to import for some reason so that's why I keep it on the QT.[/QUOTE]
I'm baffled as to why you keep on claiming this, since I can't recall anyone here worrying about importing, let alone enough times to make someone think it was "taboo" and required being circumspect. In fact, there's [url=http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/281820/bd-import-info-any-one-stop-web-sites]ton[/url] [url=http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/270895/who-here-imports]of[/url] [url=http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/272511/itv-uk-blu-ray-titles-coming-e-g-the-boys-from-brazil-great-expectations]threads[/url] [url=http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/289463/which-version-of-watchmen-to-import]in[/url] [url=http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/287510/looky-here-crouching-tiger-possible-caveat]this[/url] [url=http://www.hometheaterforum.com/forum/thread/275095/zulu-on-bluray-uk]forum[/url] that talk about it, with mods and reviewers happily taking part in a few of them.

Anyway, there's several sites that you can use for the list. Try [url=http://bluray.liesinc.net/]this one[/url] for starters.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
Originally Posted by Jesse Blacklow /forum/thread/292440/pre-90-s-catal...a-alternately-comprehensive-list#post_3603291

I can help with this list. From my research, you're missing at least:

Sunrise (1927) UK (Coming to blu 09/21/2009)

40's
The Red Shoes (1948) (HMV.com exclusive) (B)

50's
Lola Montes (FR) (Coming to blu 10/20/2009)

60's
El Cid (German) (B)
Fall of the Roman Empire (German) (B)
The Leopard (Arriving to blu 02/15/2010)

All of these, other than the HMV exclusive, are available at the respective amazon.fr and amazon.de, which you can login to with your regular amazon.com account, which is great.

And, outside Brandon's original stipulations, I wish we could give honourable mention to Dances with Wolves (1990), making its UK debut on Oct 12 (already available in Germany too)

Probably the best site for release lists in general is Releaselists.com

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Quo Vadis
The Searchers
The Cowboys
Several James Bond movies

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
You're missing some titles. I have The Dam Buster, 1954, coming from the U.K. soon. I've other titles at Amazon U.K. that are not listed but I can't pull 'em out of the air at the moment.

Brent Avery

Supporting Actor
I did not see A Fist Full Of Dollars (1966) Released in Italy by RHV and Tora! Tora! Tora! (1971) Fox in Germany,Italy and Japan. Have AFFOD and plan on getting the other. Both All Region.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Also missing:

Black Shield of Falworth, The (1954) UK
Beatles, The: A Hard Day's Night (1964) Canada
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace and Music (1970) UK - No box o' junk, includes extras only available in US Target exclusive
Way of the Dragon, The (1972) Hong Kong
Fog, The (1979) UK
Escape From New York (1981) UK
Company of Wolves, The (1984) UK
Goonies, The (1985) UK
To Live and Die in L.A. (1985) Hong Kong
Patlabor: The Movie (1989) Japan

These are all either region free or Region A.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Cinema Paradisio from Amazon U.K. is currently headed towards me. It should be here any day now. I'll report if it'll play in Wee-jun Aye only players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks