Criterion Blu-ray titles! (2 Viewers)

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
From latest newsletter:

Dear Criterion Collection Newsletter subscriber,

We’ve got some exciting news for this fall, and we wanted you to hear it first.

Our first Blu-ray discs are coming! We’ve picked a little over a dozen titles from the collection for Blu-ray treatment, and we’ll begin rolling them out in October. These new editions will feature glorious high-definition picture and sound, all the supplemental content of the DVD releases, and they will be priced to match our standard-def editions.

Here’s what’s in the pipeline:

The Third Man

Bottle Rocket

Chungking Express

The Man Who Fell to Earth

The Last Emperor

El Norte

The 400 Blows

Gimme Shelter

The Complete Monterey Pop

Contempt

Walkabout

For All Mankind

The Wages of Fear

Alongside our DVD and Blu-ray box sets of The Last Emperor, we’ll also be putting out the theatrical version as a stand-alone release in both formats, priced at $39.95. Our Blu-ray release of Walkabout will be an all-new edition, featuring new supplements as well as a new transfer; we will also release an updated anamorphic DVD of Nicolas Roeg’s outback masterpiece at the same time.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif

I thought I would never, ever use the dancing banana, but with some news "ya gotta dance!"

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Looks like I'll be triple-dipping The Wages of Fear and The Third Man (just bought the new Third Man DVD a few months ago) as well as double-dipping The 400 Blows. The Last Emperor and Gimme Shelter will also be mine; glad I never got the DVDs of those.
Looks like, other than older TV or absolute must-have B-catalog titles, my DVD buying days are over.

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Good news indeed. I'll certainly replace my DVD of For All Mankind and pick up the new Bottle Rocket disc. It's a nice, eclectic mix of titles which is a great way to jump into Blu-ray.

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
Gee that cropped Last Emperor again,I am glad we won't have to buy the

whole set again,if I buy it. Great news The Third man is a Must!!

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
OMG! Walkabout was without doubt my most wanted Criterion title in Hd. No matter what else does or doesn't show up this year, as long as this makes it out properly realized, I'll consider this a great year for Blu-ray.
If they are ever able to release the big studio licensed films, Days Of Heaven would be an absolute must. I would also be thrilled to see Two-Lane Blacktop done without all the sad ringing visible on the dvd set.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Peter Neski said:
Gee that cropped Last Emperor again,I am glad we won't have to buy the
whole set again,if I buy it. Great news The Third man is a Must!!
Was Criterion's the cropped version?
Doug

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Brandon Conway said:
Yes. Per Bertolucci and Storaro.
I knew that one of them was cropped at the insistence of Storaro, and that Storaro would prefer that all of them be cropped, but I thought there was a version out there that wasn't. For some reason I thought it was the Criterion release, but now that I think of it, it might have been an import.
Doug

PaulDA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
The Third Man is a must buy for me (I'm glad I didn't "upgrade" from my initial Criterion release). The others look interesting and will at least get a rental but the best part of this is future Criterion releases in hi-def. Excellent news.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Douglas Monce said:
I knew that one of them was cropped at the insistence of Storaro, and that Storaro would prefer that all of them be cropped, but I thought there was a version out there that wasn't. For some reason I thought it was the Criterion release, but now that I think of it, it might have been an import.
There was a Region 0 NTSC version from Korea that was not cropped that has a much better transfer than the US release. There was also a PAL version in Europe that I think was struck from the same HD transfer.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
PaulDA said:
is a must buy for me (I'm glad I didn't "upgrade" from my initial Criterion release). The others look interesting and will at least get a rental but the best part of this is future Criterion releases in hi-def. Excellent news.
Yeah The Third Man is a must buy for me.
Doug

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I never bought Criterion's re-release of The Third Man (although I came close a couple of times) but I'll definitely pick up that and Bottle Rocket.

It's very nice to see that their price will match the SD versions too.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
PaulDA said:
is a must buy for me (I'm glad I didn't "upgrade" from my initial Criterion release). The others look interesting and will at least get a rental but the best part of this is future Criterion releases in hi-def. Excellent news.
Ditto. This is the one I am definitely picking up and I too am glad I didn't pick up the latest release. The others will at least get a rent from me.

Marc Colella

Senior HTF Member
Outstanding.

400 Blows, Wages of Fear and Contempt should do nicely. Actually, I can imagine how amazing Contempt would look - the DVD looks fantastic.

Can't wait for some Bergman and Fellini.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
WOW!
AMAZING news.
Chungking Express, Bottle Rocket and Third Man for sure.
others I will have to do my homework on as I haven't seen the rest.
Blu-ray just keeps getting better and better

Peter Neski

Screenwriter
"But now I've got to re-consider the whole "buy or not buy" the cropped Last Emperor on BD."

at least there is a Pal version which isn't cropped,

I wish "Days of Heaven" was on that list

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks