"zzn.com"

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by alan halvorson, Apr 15, 2002.

1. alan halvorson

alan halvorson Cinematographer

Recently I sold an LD on Ebay. The bidder, who said he was from Australia, never paid despite a couple e-mails claiming payment was on the way. I relisted the item and again it sold to a bidder in Australia (for nearly the same price). The second bidder has given me his name and address and requested that I accept a wire transfer. I have no experience with wire transfers but I understand that because it's a direct deposit into my bank account, I would have to tell the winning bidder my bank account # - which I won't do. I so informed him and relisted my payment options. I haven't heard back but it's still too early to say something's fishy.

Today, out of the blue, I received an e-mail from someone asking if my winning bidder had contacted me. He also said the the e-mail the bidder used, ending in "zzn.com", was a free e-mail often used by scammers. My first bidder also used an e-mail with that ended with "zzn.com". The first bidder had only one feedback and the other none. The first is now suspended.

So it looks like I maybe avoided a disaster. Anyone know anything about this "zzn.com"? How do wire transfers work? Could they work in reverse? In other words, had I agreed to a wire transfer, could the bidder have made a withdrawal instead?

2. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Jay
    No, I don't really know about wire transfers, except I did receive an internation wire transfer from the CEO of my company (we're UK based) for my AIDS ride that I did last year, it was $400 and I was charged a $10 service fee because of it, so you might want to find out from your bank if you will be charged if you receive money via a wire transfer. I'm sure it depends on what kind of account you have with your bank so not everybody might be charged.

Yeah, you do have to give your routing number and account number but I have no idea if there is a way around that, sans starting up a new bank account (one that needs a very small minimum balance) just for that... Perhaps an escrow service or something like that?

Jay

3. CameronJ

CameronJ Stunt Coordinator

Alan,

Don't know anything about zzn.com, but I can help you with the wire transfer issue.

As always, you should avoid giving out your bank account number to someone you don't trust. Although the banks and the media will always tell you that someone can drain your bank account with your account number, the reality is that if you don't explicitly authorize the withdrawal, any electronic (ACH in bank lingo) debits can be reversed.

That being said, it's a complete pain in the a$$ to get them reversed, so you're better off being careful.

Double check with your bank, but most will accept a wire transfer without your account number listed. Tell the sender to have the sending institution indicate that you hold an account with the receiving bank, something like "Deposit to recipient's checking acct, number not disclosed, recipient phone number (212)555-1212". Your bank may want slightly different language, but this should work.

Alternatively, you can go with a PUPID wire (pay upon proper ID). With this type of wire, the receiving bank just gets your name. You show up, present proper ID (and generally identify who sent the wire, the amount, etc.) and they give you the money, less a PUPID wire fee.