Zulu

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Larry Bevil, Dec 19, 2001.

1. Larry Bevil

Larry Bevil Second Unit

I recently noticed that a new version of Zulu had been issued on DVD by Belle and Blade Home Video. It was advertised as the best print available. Based on that, I ordered a copy. I received it yesterday and watched a portion of it. In my opinion, it is no better quality than that offered by Goodtimes and Front Row versions. The video and sound appear to originate from the same print. Has anyone else purchased this version? If so, do you have an opinion as to quality?

2. Ernest

Ernest Supporting Actor

I have the Goodtimes version of Zulu and as you stated its a poor quality letterbox DVD. It appears to be mastered from the D1 tape that was used to create the laserdisc. I only paid $6.50 so I really didn't expect anything better than what I purchased. Digital Bits reported sometime ago MGM is remastering Zulu and will release an anamorphic version in 2002.

3. Larry Bevil

Larry Bevil Second Unit

I recall hearing about MGM possibly re-mastering Zulu. I had hoped this version by Belle and Blade might have been a different print. But, its not. I'll definitely wait for the MGM re-mastering now.[​IMG]

4. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Producer

I'll stick with my CC laser until the M-G-M DVD appears, assuming that it is well done.