Zulu - Diamond version makes strange noise

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KyleK, Feb 25, 2002.

1. KyleK

KyleK Second Unit

My father (dvd novice) recently purchased the Diamond release of Zulu for $7. The transfer turned out to be pretty ok, to my suprise, for such a cheap dvd. However, when he put it in the dvd player, the player (Toshiba sd-1600) made a loud BBbbrrrrmmmmmmm...... that dropped off after about the first chapter (only 4 chapter stops), but was still noticably there. He insisted on watching the rest of it, though, because it is his favorite movie. I tried putting Vertical Limit in, but there was no strange sound, it only comes when Zulu is in. Does anyone know what causes this or if it affects the player in a negative way?

Thanks,

Kyle

2. KyleK

KyleK Second Unit

Anyone?

3. Douglas Bailey

Douglas Bailey Second Unit

Douglas Bailey
    It might just be an unbalanced disc causing the player to resonate and vibrate when the head is in that particular position. This happens with CD-ROMs, too: they can be thrown off by bad disc molding or even by something as slight as the distribution of the silkscreened art on the top side. (My source for this information is the Microsoft support site.)
    My copy of the Diamond Zulu doesn't display this behaviour on my players, so it may just be your father's copy. Can he exchange it for another copy of the same disc?

4. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

The other reason for the dropoff of noise is that the disc spins more slowly at the edge of the disc than it does at the start of it. This does definitely sound like a disc balance issue.

5. Maurice McCone

Maurice McCone Stunt Coordinator

yep my copy plays fine.

KyleK not sure where you are from, but you might be interested in the news that there is to be a Paramount Reg2 release of Zulu @June.

Finally this film is to get a decent release. It is part of a Micheal Cain set, and hopes are high of a commentary by the great man himself.

6. KyleK

KyleK Second Unit

Darn, we just have a region 1 player. I believe he bought it on a business trip, so I guess he'll have to buy a new one. Oh well, it's only $7. Is there any possibilty of a region one Paramount release?

7. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

My Diamond Films Widescreen Zulu also plays fine.

MGM is supposedly releasing Zulu in 2002 or 2003, so you may want to wait. Hopefully it will look and sound excellent and have tons of special features, but I'm not holding my breath. Regardless, I'm sure it will be better than the mediocre, but watchable, currently available versions.