1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Zulu Dawn fullscreen, what a joke!!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by MichaelScott, Sep 21, 2005.

1. MichaelScott

MichaelScott Stunt Coordinator

I have been waiting for this for years, and now it's listed on Amazon for 9/27 as fullscreen. What are they thinking? This movie screams of needing widescreen, it's almost all outside with a large battle scene. What a waste. Yes, I know there is a region 2 version but I have heard the picture quality is awful.

2. walter o

walter o Supporting Actor

I have the region 2 DVD, and it is listed as widescreen, but plays fullscreen only on my player. Not sure if my DVD is defective or if the spec on the disc was incorrect.

I assume then THE WILD GEESE coming from the same label will be full screen as well?

3. RichardCrowther

RichardCrowther Stunt Coordinator

I believe the R2 (UK version anyway) has the titles and end credits at the proper 2.35:1 ratio, but then cuts to a cropped ratio of 1.85:1 for the majority of the film, so it doesn't sound like it's a much better option, really.[​IMG]

4. Ken New

Ken New Agent

Richard is absolutely correct regarding the R2 UK version and I would add that the picture quality is among the worst I've seen on a non-PD release. The PQ was actually better on the VHS which I'm keeping - but even that is only 1.85:1.

5. MichaelScott

oh brother..guess I'll skip it completely, I just can't watch that type of movie on fullscreen even if it had great picture quality..which I doubt.
    Hate when there is multiple releases of a title and they all stink..

6. walter o

I guess this labels release of ASHANTI and THE EXTERMINATOR will be a dud then.[​IMG]

7. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    If these are just ports of the current R2 releases, the only decent one out of the bunch will be The Wild Geese, which in R2, has a very nice OAR transfer and decent extras.

8. walter o

John, lets hope so, but if it's just a port, wouldn't it have the PAL speed up plus ghosting effects that occur on a pal to NTSC?

9. Larry Bevil

Larry Bevil Second Unit

I just got my R1 copy of Zulu Dawn. I placed it in my DVDRom and determined that it is widescreen. Not sure if it is 2.20:1 or 2.35:1. It is not anamorphic. Can't vouch for the video quality just yet. (Just checked IMDB and they call for an aspect ratio of 2.35:1. So, I'll go with that)

10. John Hodson

John Hodson Producer

John
    Savant says it's '1:85 flat letterboxed pan-scan (reduced from 2:35 Panavision)'. See the review here. Snippet:

As great a movie as Zulu Dawn is, Tango's new DVD is a major disappointment that will do for the moment only so that people will have a way to see this remarkable movie. The disc has handsome menus but barely suffices in any other category. In other words, here comes the bad news.

Zulu Dawn was produced in Panavision and in Dolby Stereo - the logos are there on the screen as evidence. 2 The transfer is an ugly, grainy, poorly encoded flat letterbox framed at about 1:85, with no 16:9 enhancement. The only thing that can be said in favor of the transfer is that it's formatted slightly better than the old Laser transfer of the late 1980s. That was one of those Image eyesores that pan-scanned the movie while squeezing it a bit to pull in a little more horizontal information.

This letterboxed image is indeed wider, but it itself is a 1:85 pan-scan of the full 2:35 image, cutting off the extreme left and right of the frame. This is the format decried by Europeans with their widescreen PAL televisions. The practice may have gone out of favor by now, but several years ago Savant heard many complaints from Sergio Leone fans that their western classics were being compromised by this 'chop to fit' practice.

The encoding might not look too terrible on a small television, but on a larger monitor it starts to break up and obscures detail on wide shots. The hundreds of tiny figures running in a shot should have a lot more resolution, and there's a borderline blobbyness happening all the time, like fat grain imposed on a good picture.

The mono audio is also not terrible, but Savant would die to hear this one in Stereo. Dolby tracks in 1979 were pretty sophisticated and should put the audio from the earlier film to shame.

11. Larry Bevil

Larry Bevil Second Unit

Okay, I've not heard of that before. Just from my own untrained eye, it certainly looked wider that 1.85:1 I've had it on an old Beta tape for some time so this dvd will definitely be an improvement on that. If it should ever come out at the proper aspect ratio, I'd jump on it.

12. MichaelScott

Check out the comment on Amazon by someone who says he is from Tango Ent.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...846150-0835003

Ok, so he's just calling it fullscreen..even though it's actually larger then regular full screen but smaller then the panavision..I'm getting a headache..lol. So it's not true fullscreen then?

13. Larry Bevil

Larry Bevil Second Unit

Just watched the Tango dvd Zulu Dawn on my 42" 16:9 TV. I would agree that its aspect ratio in its current configuration is about 1.85:1. It's definitely not "full screen", but since the original aspect ratio of the title was 2.35:1, there must be some level of P&S involved. There is quite a bit of grain in the picture, particularly in the dimly lit areas. Still, it's a definite improvement over my Beta tape. I'll keep it as it is a good movie.