What's new

ZULU Blu-Ray (US Version) ? (1 Viewer)

Anthony 1

Auditioning
Real Name
a d
I just received a copy of Zulu on blu-ray which I ordered from Amazon Marketplace (Media Sellers). I thought I was ordering the version with the red cover with the word ZULU written across the front, which was displayed on the webpage. The copy I got had a cheap looking picture of Michael Caine on the cover. It was distributed by Inspired Studios in Florida. The seller is trying to tell me this is the US release version. I didn't think there was a US version. Does anyone know if this is a legit copy? Or ever hear of Inspired Studios?

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
There is a US DVD, but this sounds like a bootleg. Why go through the sometimes dubious Marketplace when you could have gone through Amazon UK, which sells the legit Blu-ray for $13? (Two dollars less than Amazon does--which does sell the region-free BD as well.) I know it's cheaper, but you get what you pay for. Have a look and if it stinks return it, get your money back, and warn others on Amazon in the comments section.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
For some reason, ZULU is a public domain title in North America, so anyone can legitimately put out a sub-standard version on disc. The Paramount Blu-ray on Amazon.com is a region free UK import.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Douglas R said:
For some reason, ZULU is a public domain title in North America, so anyone can legitimately put out a sub-standard version on disc. The Paramount Blu-ray on Amazon.com is a region free UK import.
This. I have a copy, and although it has received criticism for being heavily "DNR'ed", I LOVE the picture quality and resolution.

Ernest

Supporting Actor
I purchased my copy of Zulu from Amazon.UK and from what I can remember from watching the Blu-ray sometime ago the video was very good. The audio is shown on the cover as English Stereo. The Blu-ray is Region-Free it played in my player without me having to change the code to Region B. Amazon.UK sells many Blu-rays that are Region-Free then others like"CHE" which I am watching now is region B Locked. The running time is 133 minutes.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
Douglas R said:
Is that true, or is it it just unfounded pirating rationale and blanket justification (i.e. British Hitchcock titles)?

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
The DVD of ZULU was put out by MGM in the US. I'm not aware of any boots but they may well be out there. The prequel, ZULU DAWN, has had a more difficult history here, though a legitimate DVD/BD is due this year.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Richard V said:
This. I have a copy, and although it has received criticism for being heavily "DNR'ed", I LOVE the picture quality and resolution.
The picture quality on the Blu-ray is far superior to the DVD - caps-a-holic

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Based on how many different PD companies are offering this title on Amazon, there appears to be a presumption in the industry that it is public domain, but who knows?

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
RolandL said:
This looks horrible in parts and better in others, overall a huge disappointment as it would have looked fantastic if whatever entity worked on it knew anything about the effects of the tools they were using. One could use the DNR/dust removal or whatever was used in the film to digitally rejuvenate actors though, just look how nice and smooth the skin got on this guy going from the DVD to the Blu-Ray and he also has a more fair complexion now, very classy: http://caps-a-holic.com/hd_vergleiche/index.php?art=part&action=1&image=3&vergleich=zulu&lossless=0&x=546&y=267#vergleich Overall there is more high frequency detail here than in the DVD but below a certain amplitude all fine detail has been erased in most scenes and when I last checked it just about all faces were affected. This waxyness for me completely destroys the viewing experience at closer seating distances.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by RolandL
Yeah, we had this same argument over the last five years since that BD's release. You can read about it all here. The Zulu BD certainly has its detractors, but also many supporters too.
Crawdaddy

OliverK

Senior HTF Member
Robert Crawford said:
Yeah, we had this same argument over the last five years since that BD's release.  You can read about it all here.  The Zulu BD certainly has its detractors, but also many supporters too. Crawdaddy
Thanks for the link, I didn't even remember that it is out for such a long time already. Now if somebody actually had made a backup of the raw data that they got from that scan they did for the Blu-Ray I could see a proper re-release garner a lot of positive attention. This could be demo material for the Blu-Ray format with its beautiful cinematography.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks