Zu Warriors: Opinions on it?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Phil Florian, Jan 29, 2002.

1. Phil Florian

Phil Florian Screenwriter

Howdy,
    When I went to see Brotherhood of the Wolf this past weekend, I was treated to a great looking preview for a theatrical release of Zu Warriors. It looked really nifty, but I have heard lackluster reviews of it here and there. I heard it is essentially a high-tech remake of Tsui Hark's original, 1980's version. I saw the DVD of it at my local HK store and considered getting it at one point until hearing some negative stuff and passed on it. Now, seeing these really nice looking images from the film, I am starting to reconsider. Any thoughts on this would be cool.
    Phil

2. Phu Vo

Phu Vo Stunt Coordinator

Pure eye candy. Looks great. But there is almost no plot. Sux because this movie could have been real good if it just concentrated on the storyline a bit more. It is like the movie exists just to show off special effects. Not really worth owning, a one time watch at best.

3. Phil Florian

Phil Florian Screenwriter

Thanks for the info. Will keep that in mind. I felt the same way about another movie that was recommended to me, "The Duel." I didn't like it nearly as much as I hoped to and it seemed to focus more on "gee-whiz" technical stuff and not story. Neat ideas, but no grounding in story and character...just poseurs.

Thanks for the update.

Phil

4. Jason Hennigan

Jason Hennigan Stunt Coordinator

Jason Hennigan
    Also, the DVD has problems with the subtitles disappearing.

Although it's just eye candy, I don't regret picking it up. I've seen MUCH worse films, and even bought some of them.

5. Phu Vo

Phu Vo Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, the Duel. I got duped into that one too. That was actually a bad movie, where I am convinced that Zu is was made for purposes of being a Chinese CGI demo disc. Luckily, I was able to trade the Duel away. If the Duel is any indication for you, Zu has even less plot then the Duel. At least the Duel ended with an actual duel in the end. Although, the ending ultimately was a total letdown, much like most of the rest of the movie. With Zu, you don't really know where it is going. Mostly because there is no plot and partly because it was so poorly authored like Jason explained. All you really get is effects (they are cool and hokey at the same time), which is the only thing that keeps you from turning off Zu. Once that is done, it is like finishing an easy "only ok" video game. Once done, you really don't want to go through it again after that. Trust me on this one, wait for the US release, and Netflix that sucker.

I am sure that Jason would agree that he could have enjoyed that movie just as much if he rented it once and watched it. Right?

One thing that is certain about Zu, its trailer rocks!

6. Jason Hennigan

Jason Hennigan Stunt Coordinator

Jason Hennigan
    Oh absolutely Phu. Even though I bought this, I would easily have gotten as much enjoyment out of it via rental.
    Of course, if I did that, I could't try to figure out what they are saying when the subtitles drop out! [​IMG]

7. Todd Terwilliger

Todd Terwilliger Screenwriter

I definitely enjoyed it for the eye candy. The plot is certainly not it's strong point. The DVD does have some subtitle drop outs but I didn't find them too annoying. I'm glad I bought the disc, while its not strong throughout, it definitely has its moments that fulfill my jones.

8. Luc

Luc Stunt Coordinator

Same opinion here.

Eye candy. I bought the disc about 2 months ago. I don't regret it because the visual is great but the plot is as confusing as it can be whether you watch it in Chinese or with subtitle. It's inferior to Storm Riders but better than A Man Called Hero if that helps.

I can't believe they're showing it on the big screen. If the audience I was with got a crack out of all the leaping and flying in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, they'll die laughing on this along with pulling and scratching their hair. You really have to understand a bit about the Chinese culture/myths to even get close to know what's going on.

Expect lots of special effects fighting like throwing fire balls, ect but don't expect any real matial art fighting like Crouching Tiger because there's only one real short scene of such type. Expect to be confused and expected to get tired of the special effects after 1/2hr.

9. Jeff Jacobson

Jeff Jacobson Cinematographer