Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
matt-hough has published a new article.

Zootopia Blu-ray Review

zootopiatop-150x150.jpg

There’s a mystery to be solved among the walking and talking animals in Zootopia, another winner from the Walt Disney Animation Studio wing of...
Continue reading the original article.

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Thanks Matt! My hope is Zootopia will be in my hands on Tuesday. It's funny: I enjoyed the movie and want to see it again. My BF has asked every week for the last month when it's coming out. And he reminds me I can't watch it without him. He's typically not someone to watch a movie twice in the same year, but he apparently loved this one.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Thanks to Matt for another in a long line of excellent reviews. :thumbsup:

And, thanks to Jason for such positive comments about the film.

I've been personally wary of Disney animated efforts in recent years. Admittedly, things HAVE been getting better.

So, I didn't see Zootopia in the theaters. I guess I kept wishing that Disney or Pixar had created The Secret Life of Pets instead (because I'm worried about that one, too, even though the premise is so excellent). But the premise of Zootpia paled in my mind to Secret Life of Animals.

So this will be in my hands Tuesday...as a blind buy. And I now feel comfortable that it will be something for my wife and I to enjoy on a nice, relaxing summer evening.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I liked the film and will have a copy also on Tuesday along with a ton of other titles. I see UPS putting on a special truck for me.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I liked the film and will have a copy also on Tuesday along with a ton of other titles. I see UPS putting on a special truck for me.

I'm getting several titles, too. UPS better be ready for the big day! It's quite a release date. Wait'll you see the coming week's RoundUp!

Scamp

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
Thanks to Matt for another in a long line of excellent reviews. :thumbsup:

And, thanks to Jason for such positive comments about the film.

I've been personally wary of Disney animated efforts in recent years. Admittedly, things HAVE been getting better.

So, I didn't see Zootopia in the theaters. I guess I kept wishing that Disney or Pixar had created The Secret Life of Pets instead (because I'm worried about that one, too, even though the premise is so excellent). But the premise of Zootpia paled in my mind to Secret Life of Animals.

So this will be in my hands Tuesday...as a blind buy. And I now feel comfortable that it will be something for my wife and I to enjoy on a nice, relaxing summer evening.
Mike, can't believe you missed out on seeing Zootopia in the theater. I couldn't stop seeing it; ended up seeing it a dozen times I enjoyed it so much. Basically, tried to catch a showing every week since it debuted. You should definitely feel safe going in as a blind buy.

I am glad to see Disney is releasing this in a 3D version, too, on Blu-ray after skipping the last few films.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Mike, can't believe you missed out on seeing Zootopia in the theater. I couldn't stop seeing it; ended up seeing it a dozen times I enjoyed it so much. Basically, tried to catch a showing every week since it debuted. You should definitely feel safe going in as a blind buy.

I am glad to see Disney is releasing this in a 3D version, too, on Blu-ray after skipping the last few films.
I wish they had sent the 3D version for review. There were certainly several sequences during the movie that I felt 3D would have greatly enhanced (though they played just fine in 2D, of course).

Panman40

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Martin Campbell
I wish they had sent the 3D version for review. There were certainly several sequences during the movie that I felt 3D would have greatly enhanced (though they played just fine in 2D, of course).

I was thinking that myself, also another title, 3D seems to be in steep decline, I glad there are a few die hards though :)

Jonathan Perregaux

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jonathan Perregaux
I grabbed the 3-D copy, all the while puzzling over the welcome fact that a new Disney Blu-ray was, in fact, in 3-D.

After all the hoops I jumped through to get 3-D versions of Frozen and Big Hero 6, this time all I had to do was put out my hand and pull it off a shelf.

Thank you, Disney.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I was thinking that myself, also another title, 3D seems to be in steep decline, I glad there are a few die hards though :)
I guess there must be more than a few, if Disney is giving the U.S. edition the 3-D treatment. It might also be a trial balloon to determine whether or not to out out, say, THE JUNGLE BOOK or THE FORCE AWAKENS (the latter of which hasn't even been announced for 3D in Europe yet).

Jeff S in NJ

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Sumberg
I watched my copy last night, I had the 3D version. The 3D isn't something I can honestly say was "great", I've seen better 3D in other Disney & Pixar productions, but it was done well. Some parts are hilarious (the DMV for instance). The story is very good, but again, I didn't feel it lived up to the hype. Technically, the film is outstanding. There is some of the best animation and detail work I've seen to date - obviously the art of electronic animation is improving.

Hopefully Disney will continue to release 3D Blu, but I've yet to see the pre-order for Jungle Book offered in 3D, so perhaps there is no hope...

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I watched my copy last night, I had the 3D version. The 3D isn't something I can honestly say was "great", I've seen better 3D in other Disney & Pixar productions, but it was done well. Some parts are hilarious (the DMV for instance). The story is very good, but again, I didn't feel it lived up to the hype. Technically, the film is outstanding. There is some of the best animation and detail work I've seen to date - obviously the art of electronic animation is improving.

Hopefully Disney will continue to release 3D Blu, but I've yet to see the pre-order for Jungle Book offered in 3D, so perhaps there is no hope...

I'm not trying to derail this thread but I think Disney is clearly experimenting with offering 3D Blurays. DMC only has the 2D bluray available for pre-order (or the DVD for$8.00 less) But Costco only had the Ant-Man 3-D bluray set as it's bluray offering.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks