What's new

zoomed, stretched or 4:3 on widescreen (1 Viewer)

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
You can't 'fix' the burn-in, but since your TV is so new, you can probably make it less noticable. As you use the TV normally, keep a signal on the outer portions of the screen (never display the black bars again). This will over time cause those two portions to get "worn-in" also. The burn-in should become less noticable.

When you watch in 3:2 mode, definitely use the gray setting for the outer bars.

Yee-Ming

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Yee Ming Lim
Heh, philistine that I am, I actually do use the slight stretch mode (called Wide on Pioneers) that crops a little and stretches less in the middle, on most broadcast TV.

What gets really annoying is when I'm watching something broadcast 4:3, but which has obviously been pand-scanned from a 16:9 aspect ratio, something that is getting more common with a lot of TV shows (just two nights ago, watching Criminal Minds, it was pretty obvious that the OAR of the show is 16:9).

(And before anyone asks, I make this observation in relation to TV shows only, I NEVER watch pan/scan broadcasts of movies. Just too painful.)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
I think that 3 weeks is far too soon for ‘burn in’ to occur. Either you have been sold a defective set, or your set has been used as a demo model on the sales floor.

I’d take it back to the store immediately.

BTW, it will help to get a calibration disk and adjust your settings appropriately. I watch a lot of classic movies in 1.33:! and have not had any hint of burn-in. I do watch news and such in a full screen mode, but for anything else, its 4:3.

Good luck.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Now that I have LCD, I watch everything OAR, but with my old RP WSTV, I used strecth mode. It never really bothered me because I got used to it.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
When I first got my HD-RPTV, I played around with the "just" stretch mode and zoom, but after a few weeks I settled on 4x3 for 4x3 programming as the most satisfying presentation.

Deke

Grip
I got a TV with progressive zoom, so I just make the picture as big as I can without losing any of it. I'm totally sad. I sometimes get out of the chair and stand almost resting on the screen to make sure I haven't left a line of image behind...

Great for playing old video games on though:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks