What's new

ZOOM (PBS) (1972-1978) (1 Viewer)

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
As good as the ZOOM: Back to the '70s compilation DVD is, I do believe it would be neat if WGBH and PBS could get their act together and release all six seasons of the classic version (1972-78) of this children's series on DVD in their entirety.

They previously released all six seasons of the series on VHS from 1999-2004, so I know these episodes had been remastered before.

Whenever they do, I'd also like the DVD sets to feature audio commentaries by the classic ZOOMers on certain episodes, as well as featurettes and interviews with the classic ZOOMers, a la the Looney Tunes Golden Collection DVDs.

~Ben

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
ZOOM was something special when I grew up. I'd forgotten just how until I picked up that DVD you mentioned 3 or 4 years ago. It cures depression and clears my head of adult gunk!

I'd buy a complete set without even having to think about it.

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
"They previously released all six seasons of the series on VHS from 1999-2004, so I know these episodes had been remastered before."

Where did you get this information? The only VHS and DVD release to date has been the Best of the '70s one.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
"They previously released all six seasons of the series on VHS from 1999-2004, so I know these episodes had been remastered before."

Where did you get this information? The only VHS and DVD release to date has been the Best of the '70s one.
Oops... got myself confused with the '99 version which did see six of its seven seasons released!

~Ben

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
One thing that bothered me about Best of the '70s is the Zoomers of the '70s feature at the end was missing the Cast 2 and Cast 4 openings. I understand why they chose not to include them as a few Zoomers would have appeared more than once, but it would have been nice to have them all.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
One thing that bothered me about Best of the '70s is the Zoomers of the '70s feature at the end was missing the Cast 2 and Cast 4 openings. I understand why they chose not to include them as a few Zoomers would have appeared more than once, but it would have been nice to have them all.
I didn't know that! That feature alone was worth the price. Nostalgia overload.. i just sing along with those kids.

At least i wish they'd put out volumes like Electric company got. Or even Seasame STreet old skool . I treasure those sets.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin
I didn't know that! That feature alone was worth the price. Nostalgia overload.. i just sing along with those kids.

At least i wish they'd put out volumes like Electric company got. Or even Seasame STreet old skool . I treasure those sets.
Specifically, the only openings missing were:
Season 2, cast 1 (with Maura, Ann, Jay and David Alberico plus Kenny, Nancy and Tracy from season 1)
Season 2, cast 3 (with Bernadette, Leon and Luiz plus Lori, Edith, Neal and Danny McGrath replacing Maura, Ann, Jay and David Alberico)
Season 3, cast 1 (with Donna, Mike and Timmy plus Lori, Edith, Neal and Danny McGrath from season 2)

~Ben

Last edited:

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
Season 2, cast 1 (with Kenny, Nancy and Tracy from season 1)
Season 2, cast 3 (with Bernadette, Leon and Luiz plus Lori, Edith, Neal and Danny McGrath replacing Maura, Ann, Jay and David Alberico)

Those 2 above casts are the ones I have the most memories of, so I was disappointed they were missing. Only snippets of them were seen in the opening montage which patched together bits and pieces of all the various openings.

ClassicTVMan1981X

Screenwriter
Real Name
Benjamin

The only footage of those casts is here at the 0:23 and 0:27 marks.

I do agree that we must continue to buy this particular DVD, and to encourage all our friends to do the same, in order for PBS and WGBH to set more money aside for at least a volume 2 of this!

And I also agree that the second disc could have had more than four episodes, to better fill up the disc. I could picture:
1 episode from season 1
1 episode from early on in season 2 (first five episodes)
1 episode from majority of season 2
1 episode from very late in season 2 (last 11 episodes)
1 episode from early on in season 3 (first ten episodes)
1 episode from majority of season 3
1 episode from season 4
1 episode from season 5
1 episode from season 6

I don't think it would really hurt for them to market the first two seasons together as one DVD set, as season one was only 13 episodes long. In fact, they could even market seasons four and five together as one DVD set too since both those seasons were also 13-episode runs.

~Ben

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks