Zoom option on the HD-A2?

John Lloyd

Stunt Coordinator
I am trying to watch a non-anamorphic widescreen DVD (The Ref) on my HD-A2. It is connected via HDMI to a Sony VPL-VW50 projector.

Unfortunately the picture is window boxed in the center of the screen, with a lot of black on all sides. My previous DVD players often had a Zoom function that would stretch the picture automatically. Is this possible on the HD-A2? I don't see any relevant button on the remote.

I suppose it might be possible to achieve the same effect by changing a setting on the projector. Since I just installed it on Monday, I am still exploring its potential.

thanks,

John

Hayes Preston

Stunt Coordinator
Not sure if A1's have zoom or not, but XA1 does, so I don't see why the A1 wouldn't. To zoom use the "A" button on the remote.

If that doesn't work most TV's have an aspect ratio or zoom feature, mine has full, zoom, wide-zoom etc.

Hope this helps

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Hayes,

I believe the zoom function you speak of only works with HD DVDs. For SD DVDs, there is no such function, at least not on the A1's.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
John,

This is typically a task for the projector.

The VPL-VW50 does it very well. Although you can zoom the image to your heart's content (within the limits of the zoom engine - and if "Lens Control" is set to ON, which is the default), the most simple function to use is on the Screen Menu (also see page 45 of your Operating Instructions Manual).

Choose for "Wide Mode" the setting (either Full or Zoom, I think you need Zoom in this case) to get the proper (larger) picture without changing the aspect ratio.

Cees

Real Name
Josh Crackle
Weird you mention this because I have a CRT HD widescreen (not a stand alone projector) and my A-2 does this same thing when previews come on before the movie. First time I've ever seen that at home (black bars on the sides too!). But when the movie starts it's stretches out wide and looks fine. I watch a number of standard DVD's in addition to my HD ones and the black bars on the side never happen during the movie, although I haven't spun The Ref yet. I've found it odd that the previews alone would display black bars all around...I think I'll search the forums to see if there's a good reason, or even a way to fix that, maybe.

Jeff Cooper

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Cooper
The reason this is happening, is that the A2 is detecting if the content it is playing is anamorphically enhanced or not.

If your player is set to screen size 16:9, and the content is anamorphically enhanced, then it will display normally in the 16:9 aspect ratio.

If the content is not anamorphically enhanced, then the A2 automatically 'Pillarboxes' it and sends it to the display as a 16:9 image with black bars on each side, so the content is now 4:3 in the 16:9 display area.

If that pillarboxed image already is letterboxed with black bars on top and bottom of the image then you will end up with a proper aspect ratio image with black bars all around it. Think of it as watching a letterbox movie on a regular 4:3 set, and putting black bars on either side of the 4:3 set. The image is still correct, but you have black all around it; you haven't 'shrinked' it.

The reason the previews play like this, but the main feature doesn't is that on most discs, the extra content is not anamorphically enhanced, but the main feature is.

This is actually a nice feature of the player, as you don't have to constantly switch your display back and forth between 4:3 and 16:9 to get the correct apsect ratio.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
attlasrex