Zoom on FP

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Eric Hardman, Aug 3, 2003.

1. Eric Hardman

Eric Hardman Auditioning

I am a newbie who just purchased a Infocus X1. I have a question regarding the zoom feature. I know on digital cameras, the digital zoom feature tends to mess up the clarity of the picture.

I am wondering if the zoom feature on the X1 will also distort the picture or is it not a digital zoom and therefore have no impact.

I am planning on ceiling mounting the FP today and need to know if mounting location should be where no-zoom makes desired image size or if zoom+normal equals desired image size. I assume the longer distance(meaning no zoom) will make the picture tend to be more washed out

2. Thi Them

Thi Them Producer

If you zoom by turning the ring, then the picture should be fine; I've read it should be in the middle for best quality. If there is an option in the menu for a zoom, which will be done digitally, then that will worsen the picture quality.

~T

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    If you are trying to determine a mounting location then it is better to mount the projector further away from the screen and zoom in rather than closer to the screen and zoom out but not for the reasons you might think. If the projector is closer to the screen then you have increased chances of experiencing a "hot spot" in the middle of the screen and darkness towards the edges of the screen. A placement further back will help give you a more even brightness across the entire screen.

4. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    As Neil has indicated...

and has Thi has mentioned...

the image is always degraded when electronically manipulated for sizing / zooming / key stone correction etc.

Regards

Gregg