What's new

Zoom: 4:3 TV (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Are you talking about the recent Panny players like the RP82 and CP72?

From what I understand, that "feature" does nothing(!). Probably something they originally planned to do, but did not implement late in the production process.

Brad Newton

Second Unit
Yes, those are the units that I saw this "feature" listed. So they did not implement that feature. What was it supposed to do?

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit
The zoom feature is INVALUABLE to 4:3 TV owners. It basically zooms a widescreen movie to reduce the size of the "black bars" on your TV screen. A good zoom feature does 2 things: (1) maintains picture sharpness, (2) provides several zoom levels, like 1 thru 4 (little zoom to most zoom).

Toshiba DVD players do this PERFECTLY. For those of you who hate bars, just buy a Toshiba DVD player and click those bars away.

Just realize that each zoom click is actually chopping of the right and left parts of a widescreen movie. I like Toshiba because you can zoom just a little, to make the bars smaller and chop very little. Or, you can zoom the bars away completely, but you chop off lots of right & left info. Your decision.

AND, if you decide you don't like the zoom feature, then don't use it - Toshiba DVD players are overall good performers.

FWIW, every friend and relative that has asked me for a player recommendation this past holiday season (5 in total and all 4:3 TV owners) now swear by this feature. And before the purist OAR crowd jumps down my throat, they are choosing to use the feature - they are free not to.

Rich B.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks