Zoolander cover art: Very classy Paramount!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Carol Razavi, Jan 5, 2002.

1. Carol Razavi

Carol Razavi Stunt Coordinator

You know, I probably don't give a rats ass about this movie, but I was looking on www.dvdshrine.com and saw the artwork for Zoolander: Special Collector's Edition. Usually I don't really like Paramount cover artwork, and I know most of the time they use the original poster, but there's always something there that takes away from the cover. Now I know what it was! The damn Paramount banner! It always looks so bland and boring. But I like this one! I like the colors on the spine, and I like how the foot covers part of the Widescreen banner. I like were the "Special Collector's Edition" is placed. I know that the credits will probably be removed, and the only thing I dislike is the critic quote. But overall, I like it.
    Check it out here:
    http://www.dvdshrine.com/story.shtml...04&cat=current
    Why do I care about cover artwork? I have no clue, I just like my favorite little obsessions to look nice while sitting on my shelves. Way to go Paramount on finally giving me a cover I like! Even though the movie is cheesy, I like The Prophocy cover too!
    I hope Columbia Tri Star and a few others take note: STOP MAKING CRAPPY ARTWORK! I think Columbia, especially, needs to make up a new "Special Edition" banner. It looks like a freakin action movie logo! Even the Driving in Cars with Boys cover has this stupid logo! Do something classy with your dvds, like what Zoolander did. Not directly at the top, not showy, but nice. The 6th Day SE sux too! Ron touched up on this in his studio review. Also MGM, sometimes, has some bad artwork: Buckaroo Banzia anyone?
    Look here for the DICWB cover:
    http://www.dvdshrine.com/story.shtml...95&cat=current
    I also think the Vista Series line has some of the nicest cover artwork. Tombstone especially. Criterion is very classy too.
    Well, I think that's enough of my crazy ramblings for one day![​IMG]

2. HenrikTull

HenrikTull Second Unit

Saw this one on thursday, and I am definitely picking up the DVD. I was laughing my ass off during the entire movie, while, I would say about 95% of the rest of the theater, didn't laugh once. But, anyway... Looking forward to the DVD.

3. Carol Razavi

humm... everything I've heard was pretty bad. Maybe if enough ppl like it, I might go out there and at least give it a rent. I love Ben Stiller, and I remember laughing at some clip I saw on tv (I think it was the "is the a place for ants!" part) I even love Owen Wilson (Why he chooses some many bad movies to be in is beyond me!) in Royal and Bottle Rocket, he usually makes a bad film at least a bit enjoyable (why does he always get killed off a big budget movies?(why do I keep doing these though thingys?)) But this film just looked really really stupid. What do others think?

4. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor

Patrick McCart
    Studios need to pay more attention to what's on the disc, not what the disc is in.

Good cover art is nice, but it should never be a priority.

(IMO, all covers should simply be a poster of the film.)

5. Carol Razavi

Patrick,
    I agree with you that the movie and quality of the disc isf far more important, but I also believe that a piece of that quality is the package you recieve the disc in. If you can tell that the company took time to create a nice package, then you are probably going to get nice quality inside.
    I do like it when studio use the original poster, most of the time. But in some cases the posters just suck. I like the Se7en artwork on the dvd much better then the poster. Also the Boogie Nights 2 disc is very cool too.[​IMG]

6. Marc Colella

Marc Colella Cinematographer

7. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

While we're on the topic of insignificant things, that naming system of Paramount's has got to go.
    So it's a Collector's Edition for Special people who collect. Special Collector's Edition - > redundant. [​IMG]

8. Nick Graham

Nick Graham Screenwriter

I'll be picking this one up. This is one of those flicks like the original Austin Powers....most who see it in the theater don't get it, but once it hits video, it becomes a cult success. Easily one of if not the funniest comedy I saw all year, though I could have done without the orgy scene.

9. Julian Lalor

Julian Lalor Supporting Actor

The cover is great, but I thought the movie terrible (I mean, if you're going to do a satire about models, at least make it about female models - no-one gives a rats about the men and everyone expects them to be idiots, so there's little to mine there). A great opportunity lost on Stiller's vanity (now, that's irony). Oh, well. Hopefully this is a good sign from Paramount to come.

10. Martin Blythe

Martin Blythe Second Unit

Well, it's a little known secret but Derek Zoolander did the menus for the DVD. OK, it was Ben Stiller in character but they're the funniest menus I've heard.