ZoneAlarm is one scary piece of software!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeH, Nov 22, 2001.

1. MikeH

MikeH Stunt Coordinator

I finally got my cable modem hooked up last night and it wasn't ten minutes after the tech left and zonealarm popped a port scan alert. In the two hours I was surfing last night I must have had 8 port scan alerts of some kind.

I do find the permissions to be a bit daunting at times. I know that norton live update and free agent need access to the internet but then things like svchost.exe says it needs access and I don't have a clue what that is. As a general rule I say no then if something doesn't work I know I answered wrong.

It scares me to think how many people with high speed connections don't even have virus protection let alone some type of firewall.

I do have two questions. If the computer is off is all access cut off as well? and should my cable modem be left on at all times or does it matter?

Thanks,

Mike

2. Paul S Gregory

svchost.exe is this
    http://support.microsoft.com/support.../Q250/3/20.ASP
    All those port scans are probably just the ISP's computers talking with your modem.Turn off all file sharing and I doubt a hacker would be interested in your system.Enabling Norton AutoProtect might be a good idea.
    If your computer is off all access is off.
    I leave my cable modem on all the time because it's warm and my cat likes to sleep on it.
    Been surfing with cable for 2 years and never had any virus/hacker problems.

3. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

You are vastly more likely to compromise your own security than being compromised from without. You download a cool little program and before you know it you have a program running on your computer, calling out and taking orders from someone else. Or else you get an email with a virus and that then proceeds to foul things up.

The first of those will at least be something your firewall will warn you about, so you can make a decision on whether or not you should let it talk to the Internet. I got caught myself and accidentally installed a client for someone to use to do denial of service attacks from my computer! Fortunately the firewall told me it wanted to call home and I could then track it down and remove it.

4. Jeff_smart

Jeff_smart Auditioning

The more software or firewalls or protection you put up, the slower your computer gets because it needs to load so much of that at startup.

Its a good time to invest in a Cable/DSL router these days.

If you have 2 or more computers, its a most for your home network.

The advantages? The router will assume the role of the Server of your network, so any hackers won't be terribly interested in that!. Also I know for a fact many of these home network routers have built in hardware firewalls, which means you dont' have to load up so much software on startup on each system.

Disadvantages? If you host your own FTP site or webpage, then the router will be a little harder to configure. But all in all, its way better than ZONEALARM even its PRO version.

Jeff

5. Peter McDonald

Peter McDonald Stunt Coordinator

Another advantage of a router is that if you have multiple computers, you don't need to get extra IP addresses from the cable/dsl company.

Peter

6. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

You can do everything a router does on a PC. Just pop in another network card in the first PC connected to the network and setup an internal network on the second and presto, you have a broadband router. Well, with the addition of a little software. This also uses only one public IP address, the other machines use an IP number internally and send their Internet traffic through the PC acting as a router.

This saves money especially if you already have a hub or switch at home on your network.

Zonealarm Pro (or Sygate Personal Firewall or Tiny Personal Firewall; I prefer Sygate) are all quite capable firewalls for personal use, IMHO. Granted, a hardware router does make things more plug-and-play.

7. Uchendu Nwachukwu

One somewhat major disadvantage of hardware routers is they don't stop trojan horses from communicating with the outside world, something ZoneAlarm does.
    The optimal solution would be to have a hardware router, but also Zone Alarm on each machine set to Low security mode.