What's new

ZoneAlarm Firewall (1 Viewer)

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
I use the free version of ZoneAlarm - is it worth it to upgrade to ZoneAlarm pro? This most recent virus has gotten me thinking that the free version might not be enough and that I should stop being cheap.

Or might some other firewall, or perhaps one of those routers that include firewall protection be better? I'm just a standalone, non-networked PC.

Thanks

RickLe

Stunt Coordinator
I do run a Linksys router providing a hardware firewall, and ZoneAlarm Pro full version as a software firewall. I also run pest patrol (protection again back door trojans), Norton antivirus, and The Cleaner. A firewall will not protect you against the new virus, if anything get an update from Norton.

Brent_H

Second Unit
i would stick with the free Zone Alarm, it does the job just fine for the average user. Also, if you keep your anti-virus software updated, you will be fine. just for the record, AVG anti-virus is the best thing out there, and its free. oh yeah. http://www.grisoft.com

:)

RickLe

Stunt Coordinator
Actually Rob, virii don't get stopped by firewalls, they are primarily forwarded in email attachments, which are hidden and processed by your email. If you allow your firewall to allow your email programs to process you will receive these emails.

I have had several forwarded emails that have come into my system, and were stopped only by Norton or PestPatrol.

Even firewalls can be easily hacked and brought down if someone wants access to what you have.

Jesse Leonard

Second Unit
Actually Rob, virii don't get stopped by firewalls, they are primarily forwarded in email attachments, which are hidden and processed by your email. If you allow your firewall to allow your email programs to process you will receive these emails.
Yes, but he (and you in your previous post) were talking about the new (msblaster.exe) virus. This virus had nothing to do with email and WOULD have been stopped by a firewall. My home network was unaffected for this very reason.

People should run a firewall and a virus program. Neither one can do it all. Even if you have both, you can still get burned. But if you are going to run a virus detector: Keep your virus definitions updated! Or it will be almost useless to run it.

Leo_P

Second Unit
My $.02:
Take the money you'd spend on ZA Pro and get a NAT router. Then think about getting an anti-virus program. And don't forget to get programs like Spybot and AdAware.
But none of this stuff will help if you're not VERY careful about what you download and/or open.
FWIW, I have a Linksys BEFSR41 router configured so all of my ports are "stealthed" (thanks to grc.com):emoji_thumbsup:, ZoneAlarm and Norton's Anti-Virus. My PC was unaffected by the "blaster" (knock on wood;)).

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
I run:

ZA Free Version
Ad Aware
Grissoft AVG

Plus the XP Software Firewall Enabled, Email set up not to
auto execute anything and some other stuff set..

I never have any problems :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks