What's new

Zone 2 Question (1 Viewer)

David Schamis

Stunt Coordinator
OK - here's my situation. I am about to move into a new apartment, and one of the things I plan on doing is having all my HT equipment in my bedroom, with wires running into the living room (which is the main listening room).
But I also want the bedroom to be the 2nd zone, so that I can watch TV, through my Integra Research RDC-7 pre-amp as a switcher, in the bedroom.

I am using a Pronto Pro w/ RF capability for the remote.

So I think what I need to do is run an IR receiver in the living room. This is the easy part - the next part gets trickier!

When I'm in the bedroom, I want to use the RDC-7 as my Zone 2, but since the RDC-7 is actually in the bedroom, any IR signals I send it via the Zone 2 port, will also be picked up by the main sensor. So one option I have is to cover up the main sensor, but this is not a very clean idea.

Does anyone know of any way to make the main sensor Zone 2, or to disable the sensor? I asked Integra and they claim that there is no way to do it.

I know this post probably isn't very clear, but hopefully you guys will get the picture, and maybe have some creative ideas for me.

Thanks,

David

Bill Lucas

Supporting Actor
David,

The Integra is a two zone audio device. That's the first problem. To have multi-zone audio AND video you'd have to get at least an Anthem AVM20 processor or a true multi-zone receiver or preamp. I know that's not the answer you want.

Now to answer your question. You actually need to run TWO IR receivers. One for the main zone (living room) and one for zone two (bedroom). Realistically, the equipment should always be located in the main zone. If not, you should locate the equipment in a closet or cabinet. Then the IR receiver on the front of the unit won't receive anything. All commands will be received via the Main and Zone 2 IR inputs on the back.

In your application, an RF remote may not be wise. It will be easier to get consistent results if you stick with just IR in a zoned application. Regards.

David Schamis

Stunt Coordinator
Bill,

That is not true - the RDC-7 is both audio and video in the 2nd Zone - I've done it before, so I am 100% sure of this.

The only difference was in my old setup, the RDC-7 was in the 1st zone.

I think that the only answers are:

1. Put the RDC-7 in Zone 1 (which I don't feel like doing)
2. Put it in a closet (which I don't feel like doing)
3. Cover up the IR on the front panel ((which I don't feel like doing either, but probably will)

David

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks