What's new

Zone 2 and speaker selectors (1 Viewer)

Augy123

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave Augspurger
I just upgraded my home theater room to a 7.2 Onkyo TX-SR707 with Zone 2 output. I hooked up 11 speakers plus a sub and LOVE it. So then I got the bright idea to run some speaker wire out to my deck and install a pair of outdoor speakers, then use an Apple Airport Express to send my iTunes out to the deck...all while the kids are watching some movie in the HT room.

Well, after fishing wire all over the place to get it from my outdoor speakers to my basement HT room, I went to hook them up to my A/V receiver only to discover that I would have to go from 7.1 speakers to 5.1 if I wanted to use the Zone 2 for my outdoor speakers. I was mightily depressed at this thought...giving up my awesome 7.1.

So, I'm wondering if I can use any sort of 'speaker selector' box in order to choose whether I want 7.1 in my HT room (for when I'm watching a movie in glorious 7.1) OR 5.1 in my HT room and Zone 2 powering my outdoor speakers (for when I'm on the deck and the kids are watching a movie in 5.1)

Is this possible? Is there another, better solution? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Augy123

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave Augspurger
Ok, I just read a little further into my manual on this. It looks like I can send the signal via RCA cables to a second amplifier and connect the outdoor speakers to that. This method would retain my 7.1 in the HT room. So I guess I could pick up a cheap amp or receiver to do this. Not sure which way would be cheaper or better (selector or second amp)?

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
A second amp may be a bit more expensive, but its a lot more convienient in the long run. With the speaker selector, you would have to activate it, plus switch the Onkyo back and forth from 5.1/Z2 to 7.1. Based on the my experience you will be the only one using the deck speakers if you go this route. A basic two channel amp is the way to go. Look for one that can be activated by a 12v trigger so it will automatically turn on when you are using Zone 2.

Augy123

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave Augspurger
Thanks, I hadn't considered how much effort would be required to switch back-and-forth. I ended up re-routing the speaker wire to my Sony A/V receiver which is in the living room right off the deck. I just used the B channel on the Sony. It's a lot more convenient than having to run to the basement where my Onkyo and HT room are. The only down side is I lose the use of the Sony in the living room but figured I could send the kids down to the HT room if they needed surround sound when I'm using the deck speakers.

I kept the wiring in place to my basement though...it was a lot of work getting in through the walls and such. I may end up getting an amp and trigger it off my Onkyo, then I'd have full 7.1 in my HT room as well as my living room. I can live with what I have for now but I definately am interested in the amp idea.

Thanks for the advice.

Originally Posted by Adam Gregorich

A second amp may be a bit more expensive, but its a lot more convienient in the long run. With the speaker selector, you would have to activate it, plus switch the Onkyo back and forth from 5.1/Z2 to 7.1. Based on the my experience you will be the only one using the deck speakers if you go this route. A basic two channel amp is the way to go. Look for one that can be activated by a 12v trigger so it will automatically turn on when you are using Zone 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks