What's new

Zombie Movie Appreciation Thread (1 Viewer)

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
I read about that and thought it looked pretty good. Glad to hear it is, I just need to track a copy down!

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
The Living Dead Girl - Jean Rollin's fairy tale-ish story about a young woman who returns from the dead and is protected (and fed) by her childhood friend. Cheesey yes, but also eerie and erotic.
*** out of ****
Goreometer rating: *** out of ****

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I saw Living Dead Girl a few years ago. Standard Giallo fare as I recall. Might give it a try again.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
The Night of the Hunted - More Jean Rollin, and not strictly a zombie film, but close enough (included in Redemption's Zombie Collection). A radiation leak at a power plant causes a group of people to suffer a strange brain degeneration: they lose their memories and are prone to murderous anxiety attacks. Sequestered in a high rise building by authorities, one female patient escapes long enough for the man who gives her a lift to fall in love with her. Eventually she's recaptured and he vows to save her. But can she and the others be saved?
An interesting film this, surreal and dreamlike with themes usually associated with David Cronenberg. There's also no small amount of hot female nudity.
***1/2 out of ****
Goreometer rating: **1/2 out of ****

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
The Reincarnation of Isabel - Not really sure why Redemption included this in its Zombie Collection as the closest thing to a zombie here is a dead witch whose husband is attempting to resurrect her. I think that's the plot anyway; kind of hard to tell what with the film's disjointed narrative. A few good scenes here and there, with an effective score, but overall pretty dull. Fans of giallo might rank it a bit higher.
** out of ****

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter
Good thread. I am always looking for more Zombie movies to watch. My favorites are all the classic/cult movies.

Night of the Living Dead

Dawn of the Dead

Day of the Dead (loves me some Bub)

Shawn of the Dead

Dawn of the Dead remake

Reanimator

Evil Dead Series

Zombie

Troma! Troma! I love all of Tromas B films.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Dead and Buried isn't your typical zombie flick and that's all I'll say as I don't want to spoil it. Worth a look? Yes, but it's overrated in some quarters.

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
Zombie films are silly beyond belief. How slow moving dead things have been central to more than a hundred films is hard to comprehend. Still I have seen several including a Showtime Masters of Horror episode, "The Homecoming". The Masters of Horror first season was only ok, with a few pretty good episodes but I didn't think that one was one of the good ones.

Chris

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I am trying to remember the name of a Zombie movie from a couple of years ago. It was from Australia. About a small rural town that gets infected and the survivors holding out (Yeah, real original).

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Zombie films are my favorite in the horror genre.
Lucio Fulci's "Zombie" is pretty darn good. The writing and acting isn't bad, it's just a bit slow paced.
***1/2 out of *****
"Night of the Living Dead" original better than the remake to me. Maybe because I saw it as a kid at the local drive-in theater and remember that atmospheric setting. The perfect viewing (mosquitoes and all). :)
***** out of ***** original
**** out of ***** remake
"Dawn of the Dead"
**** out of ***** remake
*** out of ***** original
"Day of the Dead" I deal with it just for the completeness of "The Dead" quadrilogy, but love how the zombie got the head guy at the end.
** out of *****
"Land of the Dead" Really enjoy this one.
**** out of *****
"Evil Dead" You just gotta love these trilogy's. Bruce Campbell is cool. :)
*** out of ***** parts 1 and 2
**** out of ***** part 3
"Resident Evil" I just love watching both. Mainly due to them just being good action flicks. Gotta love gorgeous women kicking butt. :)
**** out of ***** both
"Children shouldn't play with Dead Things"? What can I say: I luv it! I'm not afraid to admit the writing "SUCKED", the acting is twice as bad as the writing. But it's a cool plot, the makeup is good and the location is great.
***** out of *****
"Dead & Buried" I bought as a blind buy but just don't get in to it.
* out of *****
"Suspiria" I also bought blind, and although it has the best cinematography I've seen I just can't bring myself to watch it a second time.
* out of *****
"House of the Dead" So So, I'd enjoy it more if they left the video game clips out.
** out of *****
Just mentioned a few off the top of my head I appreciated (except the two I just don't get).

Chris Gerhard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris Gerhard
Daryl L said:
House of the Dead" So So, I'd enjoy it more if they left the video game clips out.
You are too kind to the people that made that movie. Absolutely the worst movie I have ever tried to watch. I think the goal was to be the first movie to actually involve the audience. I mean literally cause somebody to die watching it, it is so painful to watch. Uwe Boll is the worst of the worst. I understand he holds a doctorate in literature. I don't know if that is true or not, but if true, he must be making films this poorly written and directed on purpose. I just don't know what the purpose is.
Chris

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Christopher_G said:
You are too kind to the people that made that movie.
I guess I am. It does stink but I kinda enjoy it. Think I rated it too high, removed one *. :)

ChrisBEA

Screenwriter
Didn't see it mentioned, Cemetery Man is finally out in R1, and the disk looks decent. Highly recommended movie!

todd s

Senior HTF Member
DavidPla said:
Sounds like a cool NEW Zombie film called "World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War".
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=15004
That sounds awesome. I have Max Brooks "Zombie Survival Guide" and its really good. I would prefer a tv show on either Showtime or HBO (so gore can be shown). I just don't think 2 hours is enough time. Like when I watch movies like "Dawn of the Dead". I enjoyed watching how people survived with all of the world gone to hell. I would love to see Robert Kirkman's comic "Walking Dead" turned into a tv show.

Daryl L

Supporting Actor
Maybe someone can help me figure out the name of a movie I saw at the drive-in back sometime between 1966 and 1973. I only remember one scene. A little boy was playing outside of a house with a volley ball (or soccer ball or similar size) and it goes into a small cemetery close by the side of the house (bout 15/20 yards away) and he runs and gets the ball. As he's headed back towards the house a body starts crawling up out of a grave. I beleive that was at the start of the movie. That's all I can remember. I think it was a black&white film but not sure.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Beats me, Daryl. :)
Uncle Sam - Not bad little time-killer about a dead Gulf War vet who returns as a zombie and goes on a killing spree at his home town's Fourth of July celebration. And only his nephew (who believes his uncle - the titular Uncle Sam - to be a war hero) and Isaac Hayes can stop him! Sort of a Friday the 13th cum anti-war parable: watch as the little kid burns his war toys at the end! The great B-movie cast includes Timothy Bottoms, Bo Hopkins and Robert Forster. Really, how can ya beat that?
**1/2 out of ****

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks