What's new

Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist (NBC) (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
David, Emily, Leif and Tobin will be around full-time next season.

They were around so much the first year that I didn't realize they weren't already series regulars. Their promotions make total sense.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
More recurring casting for the second season, which is in production now:

Deadline said:
Jee Young Han will play Jenna Kang, Emily’s (Alice Lee) wild child older sister. An aspiring artist and photographer, Jenna comes to town to “help” Emily and David (Andrew Leeds) with their new baby and only adds to the chaos. Eventually, an unlikely friendship forms between her and Maggie (Mary Steenburgen).

Felix Mallard will portray Aiden, Zoey’s (Levy) next door neighbor growing up. A recent college grad, he’s just returned from backpacking around Asia and has moved back in with his parents. He’s working at an ice cream shop while trying to launch his garage band. He’s a free spirit who lives one day at a time, and he helps Zoey be more adventurous.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Season 2 will premiere on January 5, now airing Tuesdays at 8pm as a lead-in for This is Us.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I hope the second season is as good as the first, which was very close to perfect.

Agreed.

They have been back in production for some time, but I am really curious to see how they handle making this show in the middle of the pandemic. It seems to me that the elaborate musical numbers are a cornerstone element of the show. But it would seem very difficult to do stuff on this scale right now. I will be very glad to have the show back, but hope the virus hasn't shrunk its capability to produce the same show as last year, if that makes sense.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
The poster art for season 2 has been released.

Incidentally, there still hasn't been an announcement for a Blu-ray or DVD release of season 1. I know the market for TV on DVD and Blu-ray isn't what it used to be, but I was/am hoping for such a release because I want it. I would also welcome a physical CD release of the songs from season 1. $1.29 per song as singles is an awful lot, especially considering how many songs the show has in it. But if I could pay one price for a complete set of all the songs, I'd do that. I paid $40 for the complete 2-disc soundtrack to Galavant, which was awfully steep. But I thought it was worth it because I love that show and I listen to the music frequently. I would absolutely be willing to do the same for Zoey if the songs were released in a comprehensive manner instead of just individually.

You'd think that if they were going to do the Blu-ray release, they would time it to slightly before the debut of the new season. As such, it would probably have to be announced pretty soon. Maybe since the previous episodes are streaming on Peacock, Universal doesn't see a need to release them. Here's hoping it happens, though.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Skylar Astin posted this photo on his social media with the caption: "What are we thinking? What are we singing? You’ll find out soon. #ZoeysPlaylist"

Max and Simon.jpg

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
First trailer for the premiere:

Belated edit to replace a dead YouTube link with a new one.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

This last one is oddly silent behind-the-scenes footage.

Last edited:

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Another new promo ahead of the season premiere on Tuesday:
Interesting that Zoey has apparently been
promoted to Joan's job. If Joan has in fact been promoted to COO or even CEO while Danny Michael Davis deals with his legal issues, that would explain how they're handling Lauren Graham's reduced availability. Joan would still have involvement in Zoey's work storylines, but would be far less hands-on than she was in the first season.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
@Adam Lenhardt: That was the whole purpose of promoting Joan in last year's finale in the first place. I read an interview with Austin Winberg a while back (I want to say it was after season 1 ended) where he said they would like to have Lauren Graham as much as possible in season two year but gave Joan the promotion in order to account for her absence as they now have to share her with The Mighty Ducks. I'm paraphrasing and don't have the interview offhand, but that's the gist of it as I recall. The rest of this is just speculation, but I wonder:

If Zoey is the new Joan, will Max be the new Zoey? He said he didn't want his old job back because he liked being in charge on the sixth floor. But if he is promoted to Zoey's old job while Zoey gets Joan's job, that would be a way to put him back into the work storylines without him having to accept a demotion.

In related news, I started bingeing season 1 today in a rewatch prior to season 2. As of this writing, it is available in the free tier of Peacock. I wish they would do a Blu-ray release -- I'd even accept a DVD since I would really like to have a physical release of this -- but at least the old episodes are currently streaming at no cost. It is equally terrific on rewatch as it was first run last year.

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Well, the season premiere certainly moved along both Zoey's professional and personal lives. Fine season premiere.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks