1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist (NBC)

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Adam Lenhardt, Jan 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Well, that was the best pilot I've seen in quite some time. While none of the songs are originals, the show understands what the point of songs in musicals is: to express the characters' inner thoughts and feelings.

Strange choice by NBC, though, to air the pilot on a random Tuesday in early January, and then not deliver the second episode until over a month later as Sunday show.

2. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    For anyone who missed it last night, NBC has posted the full pilot on YouTube:

I liked it a lot. Jane Levy was an appealing lead on Suburgatory, which should've lasted longer than it did, and I'm glad to see her back on TV. The show itself reminds me a lot of Eli Stone, which almost nobody watched. But I loved Eli Stone, so anything that reminds me of it is welcome.

NeilO and Adam Lenhardt like this.
  3. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Not great numbers. From Zap2It.com:

Second lowest rated show of the night on any major network. Only "Emergence" (ABC) was lower (plus two reruns on The CW).

4. JohnRice

JohnRice Executive Producer

John
    The thing is, how many people (like me) watched it later. On Hulu in my case. About the only thing I watch on live TV is News and Football.

5. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Yes -- the networks know that delayed viewing is a significant part of their audience now. But that doesn't make the linear ratings insignificant or unimportant because that's what the networks are programming for.

I think the whole story on Zoey will be written when the show "actually" premieres and then airs consistently in February.

Matt Roush at TV Guide Magazine/TVInsider.com had an interesting perspective on NBC's decision to wait until February to start airing the rest of the series in his Ask Matt column.

https://www.tvinsider.com/847587/ask-matt-the-rookie-hiatus-hawaii-50-magnum-pi-crossover-ricky-gervais-globes/

6. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    The show finally returned tonight, and though the hiatus was annoying, the second episode was worth the wait. I found it just as delightful as the pilot, and they continued to deepen these characters, as well as do a bunch of really awesome musical numbers. I was sold six weeks ago, but I'm really glad to see that the pilot wasn't a fluke. Who else watched tonight's episode?

7. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

I agree completely.

There have been several shows the last few decades with similar premises, but this is among the best. Every element of the show is working for me: The large scale, creatively-choreographed song and dance numbers; the coming of age story navigating personal relationships; the coming of age story of a young professional shifting gears from worker bee to management; the efforts to communicate with a loved one slowly succumbing to a horrific terminal illness; the weird frenemy dynamic with her aggressively sassy next door neighbor; the best friend who is in love with her but actually does prioritize their friendship over his romantic interest; the supportive dynamic she shares with the head of the marketing team, with whom she has a genuine give and take; Lauren Graham's boss character, who has all of Lorelei's wit and timing but none of Lorelei's warmth or charm; the way Zoey's semi-spiritual superpower is forcing a lifelong introvert to engage more fully with the world around her.

I really hope NBC's scheduling gamble has paid off, and didn't doom the show to an early cancellation.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  8. Message #8 of 38 Feb 16, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    I don't think that will be the case. They repeated the pilot immediately prior to the new episode tonight, so it's very possible that people could find it tonight as a new two-hour episode who didn't even know it was on once in January. If the show ends up being cancelled, it will have more to do with how subsequent episodes perform from this point than in comparison to the early airing of the pilot. That being said, I'm obviously rooting for it to continue.

As for the second episode itself, I'm glad they found a way to allow Jane Levy to get in on the singing. It would seem that the premise might prevent that because she's supposed to be hearing other people sing. But she's a terrific singer, so it would be too bad if she never got to use that. Tonight's song for her was a dream sequence, but I hope they continue to find creative ways to let her use her instrument.

9. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I wonder why they brought it back the same night as the NBA All-Star Game? Some attempt at counter-programming?

10. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    Tonight was also the premiere of American Idol, which doesn't interest me, but is obviously a music-driven (talent) show airing at the same time as this music-driven (scripted) show. Of course, ABC's Idol has never been what Fox's version was in its heyday, but it will be interesting to see if there is some impact from the shows airing opposite each other. If this was actually on ABC, it might be a good fit as a lead-out for Idol, but obviously that's not the case. NBC has The Voice, but has chosen not to pair them together for whatever reason.

11. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    The second episode is now on YouTube for anyone who missed it.

12. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
  13. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    No discussion of this week's episode?

I again loved it, especially Mary Steenburgen's song and the lemonade issue.

On another note, Alex Newell who plays Mo did an interview with Broadway.com about the show:

Also, NBC is repeating the whole airing the pilot and then waiting a month strategy for The Council of Dads. That show will air its pilot on Tuesday, March 24 leading out of the season finale of This is Us, and then won't return until April 30 when it will lead off Thursday nights. So apparently they don't think the strategy was problematic for Zoey, because if they did they wouldn't do it again.

14. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

I thought this was the weakest episode yet, though I still really enjoyed it.

Somehow I didn't figure out that Alex Newell was playing Mo until this episode explicitly addressed Mo's gender fluidity.

With the rudimentary augmentative communication device that Zoey rigged up for her father, I like that he is able to be a character with quirks and personality rather than just a prop for the other characters' stories to revolve around.

Interesting that Lauren Graham is credited as a special guest star. With her having just signed on as the adult lead in the Mighty Ducks series, I wonder if her tenure on the show will be limited.

15. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    I agree with that, but it was still the best thing I saw on TV that week.

I don't know where Mighty Ducks is in terms of its filming schedule, but Zoey just wrapped for the season two weeks ago according to Alex Newell in that interview I posted. So I don't think Ducks will impact Graham's presence this season.

I also think that (this week's episode notwithstanding), she is not central enough to the conceit of the show for us to need to see her every week. When/if/when the show is renewed for a second season, they should be able to write around her and have Zoey directing her team while having Graham show up occasionally. Graham is very good in the role, but it's not as though the show revolves around her in a normal week.

16. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
  17. Message #17 of 38 Mar 1, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2020
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    After being ever so slightly underwhelmed by last week's still delightful episode, I'm delighted to say I thought tonight's was their best show yet. I was glad that the focus returned mostly to Zoey's immediate circle, and I loved how deep it went with Mo in particular. It provably helps that I was already a fan of Alex Newell, but he really rose to the occasion here with a deeply personal and affecting story. Happily, Jane Levy matched him and really made us feel like this mission to help Mo was deeply important to her in a way that perhaps the other ones hadn't been yet. I hope they give Alex more opportunities to sing as the show goes along because that voice is amazing. Also, the B-story connecting Simon and Zoey's family felt like a natural progression tying those thus far separate threads together, and I'm really interested to see where that goes next week.

On a side note, for anyone else who hasn't heard it yet, here's Alex Newell singing Mama Will Provide from the cast recording for the Tony-winning Best Revival of Once On This Island.

18. John Lee_275604

John Lee_275604 Stunt Coordinator

John Lee
    Good Lord, I haven't heard OOTI in DECADES. That was perfect study music back in college. Peppy and catchy without being distracting.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  19. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

I just love how this show's premise centers around an introverted, isolated person finding herself with this opportunity to connect with those around her. When she helps them, she enriches her own life as well.

So many of these types of shows set up the needs of others and one's own needs as being diametrically opposed. This show is very attuned to what Zoey gets out of the arrangement, even as her powers make her life more complicated.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  20. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson