What's new

Zodiac Blu-Ray? (1 Viewer)

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
TravisR said:
Any idea when Zodiac will come out on Blu-Ray? And better yet, might it contain the featurettes that didn't make the DVD or HD DVD?
Travis, i dont know when it will come out in the States. But, i know its for sale on Xploited Cinema on a R0 BD. Xploited is closing shop, so if you want that import, get it now. I dont own that disc myself, so i couldnt tell you about the PQ.
Oh, and i know im not David.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

David Prior

Insider
The international Blu Ray from Warner is almost done and coming out any minute now. We're hoping to get all the unused material onto the domestic, but no word on when that will be.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
One of my favorite films, period. I love the SD special edition you did, what other unused bits are there? (if you can talk about it of course, between being a true crime buff, and a Fincher movie fan, that SE was one of those releases that felt like Hollywood made me a movie. :P )

Jeff McMillan

Stunt Coordinator
I was always surprised that there wasn't a commentary track that included Robert Graysmith. That would have been a nice addition. I'm still really looking forward to this. It was the main title that almost had me considering getting an HD-DVD player.

Greg Mariotti

Stunt Coordinator
according to the insert in the new Transformers BD, Zodiac is coming to Blu-Ray before the end of the year.

With the extra space of BD, any chance we could see the remaining supplements that were dropped from the HD-DVD and standard DVD releases?

thanks

David Prior

Insider
Greg Mariotti said:
according to the insert in the new Transformers BD, Zodiac is coming to Blu-Ray before the end of the year.
With the extra space of BD, any chance we could see the remaining supplements that were dropped from the HD-DVD and standard DVD releases?
thanks
We'll be kicking up as loud a fuss as we can to make it so, but I'm not sure enough time has gone by to convince the studio to re-author and menu the disc yet.
I say this out of a surplus of caution, but we're damned well going to try.

Jonathon M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathon
David,

Much as I hate double dips (I already own the R4 theatrical cut DVD, the R1 DC DVD, and the Australian BD release), if you managed to get a lossless track and the missing features onto BD, I'd buy it again.

It'd be really nice if the special feature on the HD-DVD that was in HD but only SD on the blu-ray was in HD as well too!

As always, thanks for your input here. Fincher is one of my all-time favourite filmmakers (Se7en is my favourite film of all time), and it's great to hear from the man who makes his DVDs so great.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
As a true crme "fan" and someone who is facinated with the Zodiac case; this film is in my top ten favs of all time. I also loved the "This is the Zodiac Speaking" doc you did for the dvd. Im sure it was quite an experience interviewing all those people from the case. (I feel bad for Michael Mageau; was it hard to get him?)
Anyway I look forward to buying it a 3rd time when it turns blu!
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Jonathon M

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jonathon
dvdfile states it will have the features from the HD-DVD, but no comment on whether or not they're in hi def, or sd, and whether or not the other unreleased features are on there...

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
If Paramount is unwilling to reauthor the basic disc to include the missing bonus features, any chance of working out a retailer exclusive bonus disc that would include them?

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
I have the Japanese BD version of Zodiac: DC (released via Warner). It is Region free, also. :D
It only comes with a DD 5.1 track, but all of the extras from the R1 DC are still there, and the PQ (in my mind, a very important aspect of any Fincher film) is certainly a step up from the SD DVD.
I cant imagine the R1 BD being too much different. I'd love to see a TrueHD track, but for now I can do with what I have.
One of the best films of 2007, and a vastly underrated film by Fincher. I feel it will grow with time, like many of his other films. The performances are superb, the attention to detail staggering, and the sound design and cinematography Oscar worthy.
Such a great film, it mixes so many elements of crime drama, noir, and suspense, and it only improves with repeat viewings. Along with Silence of the Lambs, it is perhaps the best serial killer type film made.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
nearly a month away from the release, any hints yet of the special features being upgraded?

Merrick Gearing

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Merrick
Mr Prior,

Im curious if you think that Arthur Leigh Allen was the actual Zodiac killer?

New evidence seems to paint Jack Tarrance as the prime suspect.

Im curious if future editions of Zodiac on blu or dvd would tackle this.

David Prior

Insider
merrick97 said:
Mr Prior,
Im curious if you think that Arthur Leigh Allen was the actual Zodiac killer?
New evidence seems to paint Jack Tarrance as the prime suspect.
Im curious if future editions of Zodiac on blu or dvd would tackle this.
Jack Tarrance (no relation to Jack Torrence, though I love the coincidence) has been on the radar before, but in my opinion the evidence is fairly sketchy.
My personal opinion is that Leigh Allen was not the Zodiac killer. I arrived at this after two years of heavy research and interviews with literally dozens of people involved in the case. When I first started delving into the case I was 90% sure Allen was the guy. By the time I was finished with the DVD, I was 80-20 against. The coincidences are very compelling, but the hard evidence is non existent, and I susbcribe to Charles Dickens admonition: "Take nothing on its looks; take everything on evidence. There's no better rule," at least when it comes to criminal investigations. I think the key to Allen is that he was not the Zodiac, but he really got off on people thinking he was.
All that aside, no one knows for sure. And that's what's so tantalizing and so maddening about the case.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I didn't post this when the Blu-ray came out but the disc is excellent. Not to kiss ass too much but the documentary is really one of the most interesting and thoroughly researched docs that I've ever seen. It shows the reality of the crimes but doesn't wallow in the violence or exploit the victims. Even smaller things like having the interviewees looking into the camera creates an unsettling feeling and is a nice change of pace from the usual way that they shoot interviews.
David Prior said:
I think the key to Allen is that he was not the Zodiac, but he really got off on people thinking he was.
Which is tragic because investigators could have been concentrating on other people (rather than wasting time on someone who just wanted attention) and maybe caught the real killer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks