Zobel networks

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by David Giesbrecht, Jun 13, 2003.

1. David Giesbrecht

David Giesbrecht Second Unit

I was wondering if someone could direct me to some good info on Zobel networks and how to design them. I know what they do, I just don't know how to design them.

THX

2. Henry_W

Henry_W Stunt Coordinator

Try here --

http://www.audioasylum.com/forums/pi/bbs.html

This is the Pi speaker forum. Pi speakers is the passion of Wayne Parnham and he freely dishes out advice here. He uses a zobel filter in his one Pi and Two Pi speakers. I have built a Two Pi and can vouch for the effectiveness of the zobel in that configuration.

Wayne is one of the good guys and he does not beat you over the head with his bias.

3. Greg Monfort

Greg Monfort Supporting Actor

I second WP's XO white paper. If you don't want to 'do the math', this site has basic tutorials/'textbook' calculators. Note that all these assume the drivers are phase aligned (which they aren't unless you design it into the speakers) and where applicable that the driver is resistive so won't be as accurate. http://www.the12volt.com/info/diagrams.asp#cal
    ====
    >Wayne is one of the good guys and he does not beat you over the head with his bias.
    ====
    Oh really?! Tell that to Tom Danley (tomservo). [​IMG] We definitely have a different 'takes' on the guy. Not that I think he's someone we're better off not having on the boards, but some of his speaker design bias really rubs the 'seeking the truth' part of me raw.

GM

4. Henry_W

Henry_W Stunt Coordinator

Oops - I will bow out of my comment.

Greg and Wayne have both been extremely helpful to me on two separate projects and I don't want to irritate either one. I'll go namby pamby and profess strong affection for both. Any wrong comment was written by my evil twin sister Henrietta (I wish she would just quit using that Darth Vader voice when she whispers secret directions to my fingers [​IMG] ). As soon as I cure her drinking problem I am sure she will become less involved in running my life. Henrietta has finally opened up to her therapist (interestingly, it is the same Doctor I use). After years of not visiting face to face, we anticipate a reunion in the near term....

For the record, my wife thinks the audio addiction is far worse than the relationship with my twin sister[​IMG]