Zit just me or 2006 the year of science fiction?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by JediFonger, Jul 25, 2006.

1. JediFonger

JediFonger Producer

YiFeng You
    this fall will see many, MANY SF projects being released. The Fountain is a big one, Children of Men and many, many others i'm sure you guys can list. is this a whole new renaissance of SF or am i just dreaming? i'm definitely very pleased... but hopefully the quality is on par.

2. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

Advances in special effects technology have made it much easier to visualize certain things on film that would have been extremely difficult to do in past eras and I think we've been seeing the fruits of that more and more over the past decade.

3. JediFonger

JediFonger Producer

YiFeng You
    well, it's not just fx, it's the fact that the genre is getting some props again =).

some of the best SF don't even have a lot of fx. twilight zone comes to mind.

4. Cavan.B

Cavan.B Stunt Coordinator

I'm all for it; we've been lacking any good sci-fi (in the theater, anyway) these days.

5. Mike.P

Mike.P Second Unit

Couldn't make me any happier - sci-fi is something which features some captivating stories which tackle very real issues, but are often dismissed due to their fantastical settings. Would love to see a movie like the Fountain nominated for serious awards, rather then shrugged off for something as being "geeky". I mean, sure LOTR won big for its years, and SW always won for special effects, but I'm far more concerned with the substance then the style, although one could help further the other.

6. JediFonger

JediFonger Producer

YiFeng You
    i think SF is the genre of all genres. you can have SF horror, SF drama (like BSG), SF romance, SF fantasy, but you can't have it the other way around in the other genres.

under drama you can't branch into SF... cause that'd automatically place it under SF drama.

i also think a lot of people who enjoy SF can think more abtractly and tackle multiple levels of issues at once. like Twilight Zone, on its surface, it's just a series of stories to scare people, but underneath are tales or boiling morality and ethical issues of what it means be human, etc. that's why SF is my fav. genre and it has inspired many rocket scientists. it's good to be amongst fellow smart people (minus the l337 attitude).

7. MichaelPR

MichaelPR Second Unit

There's also that new Danny Boyle flick "Sunshine" that I'm pretty excited to see. And we also had "A Scanner Darkly" this year.

8. Nate Anderson

Nate Anderson Screenwriter

Not only that, but we're getting quite a few that look genuinely good and certainly worth looking forward to.

9. JediFonger

JediFonger Producer

YiFeng You
    are there any for August?

10. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick

Which is why I've been hoping RENDEZVOUS WITH RAMA would finally come to fruition. And CHILDHOOD'S END. Let's get Arthur C. Clarke back on the screen.