What's new

zipped off on eBay... (1 Viewer)

kuttaS

Stunt Coordinator
just received my denon 1805 from eBay. the seller said that it was factory sealed refurbished but it came in a nasty looking box with tapes all over it. inside the unit was all scratched on the front panel which looks like its been used for 5 years and looks really ugly. came with no refurbished documents and cheap rite-aid batteries for teh remote control. this is my first time buying refurbished. is this the way it is supposed to be or did i just get tricked?? the seller does not accept returns... so i have no idea what to do with this ugly looking dvd player that i do not want any more.... any iDEAS??? http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWN:IT

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
That does not sound legit. A refurb unit should come in a new looking box and should have only MINOR cosmetic problems if any. If it's something bad enough to return to a store then it's too bad for refurb too.

I would complain to the seller first and give him a chance to make it right. If he does not I would file complaints with ebay and paypal if that's how you paid. If you paid using a credit card through paypal or directly I would also put the charge in dispute with your credit card company. All these are last resort type steps though, definitely give the seller the chance to make things right though.

RobWil

Supporting Actor
The guys got good feedback. Maybe somebody pulled a switcharoo in transit. Definitely go back and ask the guy about it.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I'd say you just got f*cked given the description of the unit. Let's see, it's never been opened but the buyer certifies it's 100% working....hmmmm. See if he'll refund your money although you probably might have to eat s/h.

kuttaS

Stunt Coordinator
i just received the seller's response today and he has agreed to refund my money... Do refurbished units really come with major scratChes and stuff like that and with crappy packaging with weird packaging foam, rite-aid batteries, and USED condition?

kuttaS

Stunt Coordinator
just another lil question.... i bought this player in order to upgrade from my playstation 2 on my non hdtv player... the difference in picture quality wasn't noticiable.. should i just return it and keep my ps2 until i upgrade to hdtv or should i just buy a similar player to use in interlaced moDE?

Mike_J_Potter

Second Unit
You might also want to check out the model or serial number I know allot of companies add a number or letter to the model and or serial number to seperate them from the factory new models. For example my refurbed HK AVR125 is model number AVR125Z to signal a refurb. I am sure Someone on here knows what they do to mark them, or just give denon a call and they can probably help you out.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
A factory sealed refurb unit should not come with scratches, deep or otherwise, or any other kind of damage and should include the factory box, packing, manual and accessories. This guy was foolin' you - most factory refurbs are simply customer returns. They can't be sold as new. If the item had any sort of customer-responsible damage, the return would be rejected.

ross ish

Stunt Coordinator
I received a refurb Denon 2200. It is in original box (some other brands put refurbs in brown box) with the letter 'B' stamped on outside. There is also disclaimer stamped on outside of box "may be cosmetically scratched however all functions work performance tested 90-day warranty" The manual contains an addendum Denon Limited B Stock Warranty certificate. The unit I received was in like new condition with no signs of wear. Batteries by DESAY---they buy in bulk direct from mfgrs, not from drug stores.

Nathan_R

Supporting Actor
I second Ross's description of a legit refurb. My refurb 4800 came from ecost in the exact same packaging/condition.

matt-f

Second Unit
I also like to add.

The unit in the picture of the auction is a stock photo. It does not reflect the unit's actual condition which the selller should of taken a picture of.

I would advise next time for bidder, to ask the seller if there is a stock photo, for the actual photo of the unit.

Michael Cucka

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Michael Cucka

I think the issue with the batteries is simply to point out that the item is not a legit, sealed, factory refurb.

Yes, they usually enclose cheap batteries for their remotes, but from a retail drug-store chain? I think not....

kuttaS

Stunt Coordinator
the thing is the scratches on the front panel are huge (like part of the panel chipped off) and i do not think it is legit even in a refurbished unit. and there was no documentation of B stock or refurbished condition

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks