Zip cord or bundled for speaker run?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Jay_S, May 20, 2004.

1. Jay_S

Jay_S Auditioning

About to purchase some wire for my HT, and came across a slight dilemma. I was wondering what is the difference between the following groups of wire, and which is recommended for my application (from cheapest to expensive):

1) Partsexpress.com - 12gauge Sound King Speaker Wire, zip cord. Part #100-155

3) Ramexlectronics.com - Liberty THX certified Speaker cable, 1 pair of 12 AWG wire. Part #12-1P-WHT-100

2) Ramelectronics.com - Canare Star Quad speaker cable, 4x14AWG cable (11 AWG paired). Would be used in a paired situation (to create 11AWG). Part #4S11-100

I will be running the wire through the attic and then down interior walls for a short distance. The mains/center will each have a run of approx 30-40ft, and the rears will be 15ft and 25-30ft. Not interested in a Bi-wire sitaution at this time.

Also, what disadvantage is their to running zip code through walls instead of "in-wall" rated cable? Besides any local fire codes, are there any negatives on the sound quality to account for the higher cost of the bunlded wire?

2. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Jay,
    Based on this comment
    You will want Cl3 in wall rated wire. If you don't, then you are at risk of them being blamed for an issue if you have a fire. Is saving $100 worth that risk? Not to me. I don't think there is any disadvantages sound wise.

Here is a link you should check out. You are looking at $100 max for $250 feet of in wall if you go that route. If you go the Liberty route is $90 thru ramelectronics.
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=198081

If you are going in wall, I wouldn't even consider any other option but Cl3 rated in wall.

3. Jay_S

Jay_S Auditioning

Shane -
    Thanks for the suggestion.. good point about CL3 rated, I figured that was probably what I should be looking at but was unsure as it sounds like a lot of people are running non-CL3 rated wire throughout the walls and similar areas. Didn't know if there was a specific reason or ...? [​IMG]

Looking through the specs, it looks as if the Canare 4S11 (cable in #3 above) is not CL3 rated... am I correct, or missing something? And is it the same for Belden 1810A (similar cable)?

Thanks!

4. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

I'm sure they are but they are at their own risk. If an installer or a house builder ran non cl3 then oh boy. The installer who was going to do my house was going to do the LIberty but I've found another option I'm leaning towards.

The Tributaries in that link has a 105 strand count, the others I've seen are 1/2 that. According to Chu, then the larger strand count, the more flexible it is. I was looking at AC4l.com at the Ixos and its more inline with the others and after you get the 250 foot equal to the Tributaries, the Tribuatries is still a bit more flexible for the $$ and the same cost.

If you don't need 250 feet then you might consider this option:
    http://www.ac4l.com/Amazing/itemdesc...12212&cc=&tpc=

FWIW, I have no idea about the other Belden or Canare stuff. I'm going with non-in wall for my fronts and it won't be in wall anyway. My rears are why I need in wall.

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Good advice from Shane. Listen to it.

6. Jay_S

Jay_S Auditioning

Thanks all for the info. I purchased some 14/4 gauge Tributaries wire from a link and discussion in another post, as it sounds like exactly what I need as a resonable cost. [​IMG]