ziggy stardust

Discussion in 'Music' started by Jeff*Pecor, Nov 13, 2003.

1. Jeff*Pecor

Jeff*Pecor Auditioning

As with most SACD releases of older recordings, I get all worked up in anticipation, and am frequently have a bit of a let down because of my high expectations. Not that they are dissapointing in sound quality. Which brings me (finally) to my question of "Ziggy Stardust" on SACD. Anyone get it, whad'ya think? Got mine yesterday and expectations are off the chart. Next will be Roxy Music's "Avalon".

2. FeisalK

FeisalK Screenwriter

should we try and lower your expectations regarding Avalon? :O

3. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

My expectations are rarely that high on old recordings. I really like the Ziggy SACD. Both the sound and the addition of a surround track and a hybrid layer make it the best Bowie SACD so far.

4. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary
    I agree. Great sound throughout. This Ziggy is a keeper! [​IMG]

5. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    I like it as well and also Roxy Music's SACD

6. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

I like the surround mix but the drums seem a bit buried in the mix.

7. Gary_W

Gary_W Auditioning

Ziggy has always been one of my favorite lps. I was really looking forward to the sacd release and when I first listened to it I was a little disapointed. Partly because I had such high expectations, but mostly because it seemed a little listless. The bass wasn't as punchy as I was hoping and the disc just didn't deliver the sonic thrill I was hoping for. That was on my first listen.

HOWEVER, two days later I waited until the wife was out of the house and decided to give it another listen. This time I decided to follow the directions I had mostly ignored over the last thirty years...PLAY AT MAXIMUM VOLUME. This disc seems to playback at a lower volume than my other sacds so I cranked up my receiver higher than I ever had in the past. WOW, what a difference! Sonic thrills galore! The bass was right up there where it belongs, the whole soundfield seemed to open up and with the absence of tape hiss the music really came alive. I know that a lot of music sounds better at higher volumes but I have never experienced such a dramatic sonic improvement as I did with Ziggy, and as there is nothing shrill or piercing on the disc, it is a very comfortable listen at a high volume. Anyway that was my experience and it was fun to push my system further than I had in the past. Give it a try and see what you think.