What's new

Zhang Yimou tells MiramAxe to shove it (1 Viewer)

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
According to Beijing Times, producer of HERO Zhang Weijing, said filming of Zhang Yimou's next martial-art film, originally scheduled for next month, had been pushed back for at least two months due to the SARS factor. He said Zhang Ziyi was definitely in but no one else, including Andy Lau, had signed up. Zhang Yimou and his writing team are still working on the script. According to another paper, Shenyang Today, the budget of this untitled project will at lease match the level of HERO, which is US$31 million. He said several Hollywood studios had contact them for distributing the film in North American and other regions. Angered by MiramAxe's doing-nothing strategy for handling HERO, he has positively ruled out MiramAxe as the potential distributor.
Great news!! :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Chris

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter
Rejecting Miramax is nice, but I'm not sure about Zhang doing another super-production martial arts picture. Of course, I have not yet seen Hero...

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
Let's hope other directors and/or producers join him in a revolution against Miramaxe until they change their policy, if that ever happens.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
and if you have a projector or large format screen you owe it to yourself to NOT see a bootleg of this film as they look positively awful, and the visuals are important enough that the film was practically ruined for me by watching a projected bootleg.

I look forward to more from Zhang Yimou and would be ecstatic to see Hero on film as it is a positively gorgeous movie.

Adam

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
There are plenty of wonderful legit region 0 DVDs of Hero w/DTS tracks

Wonderful to hear about Miramaxe getting snuffed :)

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
I'll have to look into that Jeff, just shows how little I really know about multi region (wasn't mine, I was at someone else's place and they were all proud about having it, but the enormous compression artifacts, haloing, ghosting and mediocre sound makes me think that they ended up with a bootleg and not a legit region zero dvd.

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
I can definitly say there are legit Region 0 DVDs of this film, because I own one. It looks and sounds great. Don't have the DTS version, tho. :frowning: Maybe when the extended version comes out...

Jason

JohnAP

Second Unit
Yeah, I got a legit R0 dvd of Hero and was very happy with the quality of it. You can get it on ebay or various online retailers for less than $15. Of course, it is the kind of film that you want to see on the big screen, but it seems Miramax has been sitting on this one for a while so who knows if it'll ever even make it out of the festivals.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks