What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

Zero Turn Mowers - Residential use (1 Viewer)

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
Were moving into a new house Monday and the lot is over 1.5 acres and I don't want to waste my entire day cutting grass, so were looking into the zero turn mowers. After some research, the best deal I see is the Cub Cadet 50" with the 22hp Kawasaki engine ($3k). After reading some more, it seems the engine is great but the frame and deck are not as strong as a commercial unit which I understand but this mower has a 3 year warranty. However since its sold thru Home Depot, I am not sure how the warranty will be honered...any thoughts on zero turns for home use?

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I really like the Cub Cadet, and the Kawasaki engine is just the best. If you want a mower with a frame and deck as strong as a commercial unit's, then you'll have to get a commercial unit, which gets into big bucks.

Really, residential (non-commercial) mowers can be plenty good enough without being built from 4-gauge steel.

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
Justed checked out a Ferris IS 500Z and man what a nice unit but its $2K more than the Cadet I viewed and but it has a Briggs engine which I'm not fond of but it features a kick *** suspension on all four corners, very well made, IMHO. Also, viewed the low end Scag and the Ferris beat it IMHO. But the warranty on those is only like 1 year chassis, 2 years engine. I think I am going with the $3k Cadet ZT but buy it from a Cadet dealer other than the big box hardware guys...? Checked snappers and they scare me too. Since most mower dealers close at noon on the weekends, not much time to shop there but checking out the $4K Exmarks Monday too. The only thing @ Deere that caught my eye was their 300 series 4 wheel steer lawn tractors which feature a 4 year warranty but are $500 more than my $3K budget, but a 4 year warranty impresses me. I just need to mow and the man that built the house and is our next door neighbor, has a barrage of heavy equipment (in the biz) so I think were covered for an occasional hole or pile of dirt :) Not fond of Toros and havent seen the gravelys cause they were closed.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
One thing I really like about the Cub Cadet is that the front wheels aren't castered (like the front wheels of a shopping cart). Most zero-radius mowers have castered, not steerable, front wheels, so on slopes your sideways traction is dependent solely on your rear wheels. If even just one rear wheel slips, the castered mower will rotate around the wheel that sticks since the front wheels aren't steerable.

Steerable front wheels on a zero-radius mower: it doesn't get much better (or safer) than that.

Matt Stryker

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt
so todd - did you get the house you wanted?

It may sound silly, but you can always check the classifieds to see if anyone is getting out of the commercial landscaping biz and getting rid of their commercial-grade stuff. I know in Atlanta people who had gotten in during the building boom were punching out left and right due to building slowdowns and drought issues. Not sure if you guys are going thru that in LA.

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd

Funny you should ask, were going to closing tommorrow at 11am, not on the original house but one better, we got the seller down about 8% and it turned out to be a nicer home so were good. Now I have to mow some grass, yes the market is down here too but where were moving the mowing bis is still good so not much used around.
htf_images_smilies_dance.gif

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
I mow my Grandmother's lawn for her, and she has around three acres to mow. Two summers ago she bought a Torro zero degree mower, and every summer something on it breaks, or the deck warps, just not that impressed with it. She has already talked about getting a new one.

MarkMel

Senior HTF Member
Try to find a used not too beat up one that a landscaper used. I bought a used Scag STHM that had some hours on it but was well maintained.

Keep this in mind, the landscaper is getting rid of it because it probably won't keep up with mowing 40+ hours a week anymore. But for me mowing 1.5 hours a week, with care it should last me quite a long time.

There's nothing like commercial quality. I'd bet that my used scag will outlast any mower bought at HD.

Oh and the cut quality can't be beat due to the higher blade tip speed on a commercial unit. And you don't have to wait for the grass to dry since a commercial unit will plow through wet grass.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
charliewonka
Recent bookmarks
SVS Outlet Sale