Zepplin ?s

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan L B, Feb 7, 2002.

1. Ryan L B

Ryan L B Supporting Actor

I just got started with them after I borrowed my dads Zoso cd. What is the name of the song that Puff Daddy sampled for the godzilla soundtrack with Jimmy Page on the guitar. It seems like one certin part of the Creed hit My Sacrifice somehow is in the song mensioned above. Its around 2:30 in to the song. Is it just my hearing or did they rip off this classic song. I am possibly the only one who doesn't know the awnser, but when did Robert Plant die and how.

Thanks anyone

2. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

3. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

4. Paul D Young

Paul D Young Second Unit

Or maybe...

he knows something we don't!

5. Ryan L B

I have know idea about the bands history other than some famous "Shark incident" from the 60's or 70's which was mentioned on vh1.

Which album is that one on

6. Ike

Ike Screenwriter

The shark incident or Kashmir?

I'm going to assume Kashmir since "the shark incident" isn't a Zep song (Frank Zappa had a song about it called Mudshark)

Kashmir is on Physical Graffiti. Much better than Puffy's terrible, laughable, pop version. (The original is over 8 minutes, he cut it so as to be a pop song).

7. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

8. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

And my favorite line has to be

9. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Kashmir is on Physical Graffiti. Amazing album and song.
    Frank Zappa's song about the shark incident is part of a musical comedy live performance released on the album "Live At The Fillmore East, 1971." The track is called "Mud Shark." IMO, this is one of Zappa's worst albums, because it focuses more on stupid jokes than music, and I generally don't like anything he did with Flo and Eddie, so don't judge Zappa's work based on this album.
    So what happened to the Zeppelin members after the band?
    John Bonham (drummer)- as mentioned before, he died from alcohol poisoning, which ended the band in 1980.
    John Paul Jones (bass, keys)- went on to produce and arrange music for many different bands. He recorded and toured with some female singer, whose name escapes me. Last year he released his first solo album, Zooma, on Discipline Global Mobile, King Crimson's independant record label. He just came off a small tour opening for Crimson. The music is instrumental jazzy-rock, with chunky grooves. In concert, he performed with a drummer and a Chapman Stick player, and he played all sorts of various guitars and basses. They performed his solo material and instrumental Zeppelin covers. His next album should be coming out soon.
    www.disciplineglobalmobile.com
    Jimmy Page (guitar)- after Zeppelin, he stopped playing. After recovering from a heroine addiction and being inspired to finally play again, he briefly formed a rock band called the Firm. He also played on studio sessions and toured and recorded with David Coverdale. He oversaw the production and mastering of the very successful Zeppelin box sets, including splicing two Bonham solo tracks together as a tribute.
    Robert Plant (vocals)- He went on to have a moderately successful solo career, singing pop tunes in the 80s.
    About 6 or 7 years ago, Plant and Page recorded an album together called Return to Clarksdale and went on tour, performed on MTV, the whole nine yards. Since then, they've been pretty quiet.

10. Ryan L B

Out of all of them, which of the box sets should I get or should I just go out and Buy all of the albums on CD

11. Ken Seeber

Ken Seeber Supporting Actor

If I were you, I'd just go ahead and buy Led Zeppelin "The Complete Studio Recordings." It contains all of the band's studio albums, in order, recreating the original artwork as best as possible. Even the band's weaker albums have a lot to offer.

The only thing missing from the box is the live album "The Song Remains the Same," which the band members feel is one of their less-stellar performances (the album was released to fill the void while Robert Plant was recovering from a car accident).

This box set lists for about $130, but I'm sure you can get it for a good price somewhere online.

12. Greg_Y

Greg_Y Screenwriter

13. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

I second (or third?) the Complete Studio Recordings. I had the two other box sets and sold them and bought the other one so that I could have the original album sequence. To top it all off, they put four great songs that were not originally released on albums at the end of Coda.

14. Paul D Young

Paul D Young Second Unit

Don't forget the BBC sessions. I love that disc too.

15. Ryan L B

Are the cases any different since by looking at the covers on Ebay they looked morly like a book. Are the remastered ones seperatly any different

16. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Ryan, your last post is a little cryptic. Can you please back up and be more specific? I don't mean to criticise, just trying to help get your question answered.

17. Ryan L B

For the complete studio recordings set, they apparently did not use jewel cases and also the art work for the cover was a bit small. Inside that one, are there linar notes inside. If I were to buy them all seperatly, are there words to the lyrics or do I have to listen many times to figure them out.

18. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

The packaging of the Complete Studio Recording is as follows:

It is a thick box, approx. 9 inches tall, brown-ish design. Inside, there are 6 slots. Each of 5 of those slots contains 2 CDs in a hard cover booklet. These cases contain the original artwork as well as a new track listing, production notes, etc. The sixth slot has a booklet booklet of liner notes, containing a couple of essays, one of which was written by Cameron Crowe.

No lyrics.

I don't think the jewel cases contain lyrics, either, but I'm not sure.

19. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

Mike is absolutely right. Led Zeppelin only printed the lyrics on the album sleeve of one album (Houses of the Holy) and this is beautifully reproduced in the box set.
    You want quick lyrics, Ryan? There are many sites on the web that offer them. [​IMG]

20. Ryan L B

Do you know any links to any of them