What's new

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Gordon Douglas’ Zenobia is a charming, easygoing comedy from 1939, one of those golden movie years that boasted an uncommon number of memorable movies.

Zenobia (1939)

Released: 21 Apr 1939
Rated: Approved
Runtime: 73 min

Director: Gordon Douglas
Genre: Comedy

Cast: Oliver Hardy, Harry Langdon, Billie Burke, Alice Brady
Writer(s): Corey Ford (screen play), Walter DeLeon (original story), Arnold Belgard (original story)

Plot: A modest country doctor in the antebellum South has to contend with his daughter's upcoming marriage and an affectionate medicine show elephant.

IMDB rating: 6.1
MetaScore: N/A

Disc Information

Studio: Other
Distributed By: ClassicFlix
Video Resolution: 1080P/AVC...

Continue reading...

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I saw this on TV way back in the 60’s as a little tyke And haven’t seen it since. You description of it being an entertaining little movie is just how I remember it. I can’t wait to see again. Thank for the review.

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
Thanks for the review. I remember seeing the film on TCM and enjoying it. Based upon this and The Fighting Kentuckian, Hardy likely would have had a long career as a character actor had he never teamed with Laurel. I was disappointed that it wasn't included as an extra in the Essential L&H DVD collection some years back, but having it on blu-ray now does make up for that.

Interesting that you mention that Hardy doesn't attempt a southern accent. Why should he? He already had one naturally due to his birth and upbringing in Harlem, GA. Granted, he seemed to have moderated it so it is somewhat subtle, but it's there if you listen carefully. Occasionally, he would play it up a bit more for comic effect like in the last scene of Way Out West as well as some portions of Jitterbugs.

Harold Chasen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
Just goes to show that there's always more to learn about film history. Despite starring a number of people I've definitely heard of (so you'd think I'd have come across it at some point), I've never heard of this movie before!

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
This is the movie that caused the alleged friction between Stan & Babe Hardy in the recent biopic Stan & Ollie . The boys get into an argument in which Stan reveals his resentment that Ollie made this film with Harry Langdon when in reality he had no choice. Producer Hal Roach kept the team under separate contracts that expired at different times so he had control over the boys. Finally Stan refused to renew his contract when it expired in order to wait out Babe's
contract so they could re-negotiate as a team rather than as separate comics. Hardy had no real choice but to make the film as he was under contract , and in reality Stan would have known that and understood. Most L & H buffs feel this scene was manufactured for the film for some dramatic tension, as there are no real reports that the team ever had any serious conflicts.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Just goes to show that there's always more to learn about film history. Despite starring a number of people I've definitely heard of (so you'd think I'd have come across it at some point), I've never heard of this movie before!
I was in the same boat. Maybe that's why it tickled me so much. To discover a film with this many famous people so late in my life was like uncovering a small vein of gold heretofore undiscovered.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I watched my copy last Friday and the film was just as charming as I remembered it from my childhood TV binge days. What a fun film. I also want to applaud ClassicFlix for their work on releasing a very fine Blu-ray. To me, it looks pristine. Which reminds me that I haven’t purchased a poor blu-ray from them yet.I’m looking forward to A Night In Casablanca.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks