Zenith quality?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Evan Hartnett, Sep 12, 2002.

1. Evan Hartnett

Evan Hartnett Stunt Coordinator

I've been searching for a HD ready (direct view) tv for a little while now and I thought I had it narrowed down to three models. While I was at Circuitcity.com I was looking at the different sets they carry and I noticed they have a 32" Zenith set for $1499 that includes a hd tuner. I don't think I've heard very much about Zenith but for some reason my original thought was that Zenith isn't all that great. Does anyone have any experience with Zenith HD sets?

2. Jimmy vb

Jimmy vb Stunt Coordinator

It's funny--I was looking at their Zeniths and was very impressed by the picture and the price. The sales guy said they seem to have made vast improvements(in performance at least) over last year's models, which he said sat around until they discounted the heck out of them. I would still be wary just based on their reputation in past years. If they were to offer some super duper warranty on their products--like 3 or 4 years--they may get people to buy them and try to re-establish themselves. I don't know anyone who has owned one(well yes, we owned a zenith for years when I was a little kid) so I am wary of them--but they may be trying to inch their way back.

3. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

I guess that the new Zeniths really are a different beast than their last series of models. Kind of like how HK and Marantz had some initial bugs, then really put out a quality product once they decided to find and fix the problem. BTW, I still own a Zenith TV that is older than I am, and it still works, albeit with a couple smacks and bangs.

4. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

Zenith was the quality brand back when I was a kid. We owned one for ages. They fell on hard times and the brand slipped. I hope they're able to reestablish themselves.
    Jan

5. Evan Hartnett

Evan Hartnett Stunt Coordinator

Hmmmm.... At least I know where my original feelings about Zenith came from [​IMG]. If this wasn't such a huge purchase for me I think I'd give it a shot, unfortunately I don't really think I can afford to take the risk. From what I've read the picture looks good and the addition of the hd tuner is huge plus but I just don't feel real comfortable about the brand yet.
    Thanks for the info.