Zenith Quad Shield RG6 - and Crimp Kit

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Mark_H, Nov 3, 2003.

1. Mark_H

Mark_H Stunt Coordinator

Just finished wiring my components together using RG6 I bought at Lowes. The RG6 said it was 60% aluminum braid with foil.

Was in Lowes today and in another part of the store I found Quad Shield RG6 cable and an F-Connector install kit for it.

The Quad Shield cable, connectors and the installer are made by Zenith. The installer has a built in strip tool and uses a long screw from one end to compress the F-Connector ends on.

The kit is $29.99 with 10 gold plated connectors and the cable was $69.99 for 250ft. Extra gold plated connectors are $24.95 for 12.

I see Quad Shield cable mentioned alot here, my question is should I rewire my components with it? If I did so I probably would also replace everything going out to my Dish-Network Satelite.

Is the Zenith cable a good quality Quad Shield?
    Is it worth my time to rewire my setup?
    Any down side to using this cable?

Thanks for any/all advice.

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Mark,

When you said “wired my components together,” are you saying you used the RG-6 for system interconnects (audio and video connections), or are you talking about the RF feeds from an antenna, satellite dish or cable TV?

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Kevin Golding

Kevin Golding Stunt Coordinator

I'll post a caveat on the Zenith tool. I bought the same kit from Lowe's, and the tool completely stripped out on my third connector. The compression connectors are nice, though.

4. Mark_H

Mark_H Stunt Coordinator

Wayne:

I used RG6 60% aluminum braid/foil for my subwoofer cable, and from my OTA antenna in the attic to the Satelite receiver.
    Also used the same coming out of my Satellite receiver to the surge protector and then onto my VCR and TV. (Also split off to a bedroom just before the TV so I can watch the satelite there (sans remote anyway).

The picture looks great from either my OTA antenna or the Satelite Dish. (Although I'm soon going from a 35" Tube to a Mitsubishi 55" model WS-55413 so imperfections may get easier to see)

My component interconnects will be:

DVD - optical to AVR for Audio and Component to TV.
    VCR and Tape Deck - RCA composite to AVR and TV.
    Satelite - will also have S-Video and RCA to TV/AVR.
    (my Dish Network 301 receiver doesn't have component)

The Dish Network installer also used the same type of 60%/foil cable from the Satelite Dish to the Satelite receiver.

I guess since my primary Satelite viewing will be off the S-Video / RCA Audio outputs of the Satelite receiver and the DVD will be Component and Optical maybe I should just leave what I just finished alone.

Surely the Standard RG6 would be good enough for the subwoofer and thats the only part of the 60%/foil RG6 that would be used while viewing a DVD.

Just torked me off that after I crimped on quite a few ends on I found some better cable. From what Kevin said maybe the crimper isn't worth much though. I have an older but very heavy duty crimper I bought from Radio shack probably 14 years ago and it gets the ends on very snugly.

Anyway, based on what I have said should I just quit thinking about it?

Thanks.

5. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Mark,

Quad shield is for use in areas with extraordinarily high levels of RFI – for instance, if you lived near a broadcasting tower.

If you’re only using your current cable for RF feeds (and it sounds like you are) then you don’t need to do anything else.

If you’re talking about using RG-6 to make some component interconnects (i.e., line-level audio and video signals) then you will need to use a different cable. With line-level connections the signal (-) is carried on the shield, and I think most knowledgeable people here would tell you that aluminum is not the best choice for audio and video signals.

In addition, based on your description of the shield, I’m going to hazard a guess that the center conductor of your RG-6 is not solid copper, but steel with a copper-clad outer coating. This is also highly undesirable for line-level audio/video.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

6. Mark_H

Mark_H Stunt Coordinator

Wayne:

I'm not in close proximity to any broadcasting towers, and yes I'm only using RG6 for RF feeds except for my Subwoofer.

I imagine your correct about the cable being copper clad steel. Is this ok for RF feeds and for my Subwoofer?

Thanks.

7. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne

8. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

On a side not Wayne (btw, I agree that my first choice would be a solid copper run) there are people posting in various places about using Belden's conformable cables as interconnects, which are, I believe, copper over steel. Go figure, huh?

9. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Wow... [​IMG]