Zenith Pro895X - Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff Schnebelen, Mar 5, 2002.

1. Jeff Schnebelen

Jeff Schnebelen
    I have been in the market for a long while looking mostly at used CRT projectors. The ones I have been looking at run about $5,000. Then you have to buy a scalar/line doublers, mount, and screen. I was going to spend about 7g's before I was done with just video. Today I ran across the Zenith deal. I can get all the equipment mentioned above including a brand new HDTV CRT projector for under $5,000. Is it too good to be true? While searching the forum I found 1 thread that mentioned this same deal, one of the replies was "I'd rather buy a used 8" crt projector than a brand new 7" projector." WHAT IS UP WITH THAT?[​IMG] :b
    Any help here would be greatly appreciated. I trust this forum, and it has never steered me wrong.
    Help me OBhometheaterforum1, your my only hope!

2. Mark Norman

Mark Norman Extra

I was also wandering the same as Jeff, anyone tha has any info would be great!

3. Dave Morton

Dave Morton Supporting Actor

Dave
    You may want to check with Alan at AVSforum.com and see what he can do for you . I know they are selling the 895 crt for $3600. I've heard it is a good projector and can handle HD (although not as good as an 8" or 9")

4. DarrenA

DarrenA Second Unit

I use a 7" CRT projector with excellent results! With that said if you want similar results with a 7" CRT projector that you get with an 8" or 9" CRT then using the right screen size will help immensely. Here's a general guideline for screen sizes to use with 7", 8" and 9" CRT projectors for optimum picture quality...
    7" CRT = optimum screen size 72" wide screen with 80" being the maximum size width.
    8" CRT = optimum screen size 84" wide screen with 96" being the maximum size width.
    9" CRT = optimum screen size 96" wide screen with 110" being the maximum size width.
    Remember these scren sizes listed are measured by the width of the screen, not the diagonal measurement.

5. Jeff Schnebelen

Jeff Schnebelen
    Thanks so much Darrena and Dave. I am not getting a lot of posts on this question but every little bit helps.
    Dave, It seems that Alan at AVSforum has a little cheaper price than that that I found. I will persue that. Thank you.
    DarrenA, The information that you have provided me will be a BIG help. Thank you[​IMG] Am I to assume the I will have a very good HD picture with this 7" crt pj? What scaler whould you recommend to achive HD?

6. Kevin Coleman

Kevin Coleman Second Unit

Jeff,
    I have an older 7" CRT and I am VERY happy with the picture it provides. I have owned an LCD and seen a few DLP's and I think you will find the CRT has the best picture even compared to some of the newer digital projectors at twice the price of the Zentih. I recommend at least a line doubler for that projector as it need at least 480P to look good. You could even set up a cheap HTPC for about 1000.00 and scale your DVD's to 540P.
    Kevin C. [​IMG]

7. DarrenA

DarrenA Second Unit

Jeff,
    If money is tight then there is no better deal than DVDO iScan Plus or iScan Pro line doublers. Both of these units are under $1,000. and will convert all interlaced signals to progressive scan signals (480i in 480p out).
    I run my NEC 6PG Plus 7" CRT at 1280x720p when viewing DVDs. But this resolution is a bit high for the Zenith Pro895X. You see even though these are both 7" CRT projectors the NEC has much tighter focus capabilities that allow you to push the resolution higher without having the picture get too soft.
    The Zenith on the other hand really has a sweet spot of 800x600p. You could try running 1280x720p, but you would likely find the picture a little too soft. The cheapest scaler you will likely find to do this resolution and do it very well would be the Crystal Image which is a product sold by Alan at AVScience as well.
    I use to own a Crystal Image scaler and it was a terrific scaler. The only reason I sold my CI was because I upgraded to a Rock Plus scaler that is quite expensive but it competes very well with scalers costing three times it's price!