What's new

Zenith Low-Cost 4:3 HDTV'S (1 Viewer)

bill_slenter

Auditioning
I recently purchased the Zenith Z27V22 4:3 Ratio HDTV. As far as I know this model is the cheapest HDTV you can buy today. The 27" model is part of a line of low-cost HDTV's from Zenith. I was out shopping for a regular TV, 27-32", and was leaning towards a high-end Trinitron. Sure I wanted an HDTV, but wasn't ready to shell out $1500 or more for one. I figured I'd wait a few more years till the prices were better and tuners were included.

But when I went to my local Circuit City, I was blown away when I found that I could get an HDTV for only a little more money than the standard broadcast Trinitrons I was considering.

Granted this is a very low-end HDTV. 4:3 ratio, only one 1080i component input, not the best contrast, no built in tuner, difficult-to-access aspect ratio adjustment.

But standing there at Circuit City looking at the Zenith HDTV next to all the standard sets, it was impossible for me to seriously consider anything but the Zenith. Even the best standard Trinitron had clearly discernable scan lines and flickering images, while the Zenith line-doubled image was clear, smooth, and solid. The only advantage the Trinitron had was better contrast and brighter colors, but overall the Zenith image was the best.

So I took the plunge and I'm a happy camper. One day I may demote it to the bedroom so I can put a new widescreen in my living room (when they get cheaper). But for now I'm enjoying line-doubled standard broadcasts and very clear DVD in my living room, for only a little more $ than a standard high-end TV.

Comments on this set? Any adjustment tips, problems, etc?

Jan Strnad

Screenwriter
I haven't seen this set but I applaud Zenith for being the first manufacturer, apparently, to address the need for low-cost HDTV sets. Sure, you'll make some sacrifices, but that's typical as technology filters down from high-priced markets to more reasonably priced ones.

Even the 4:3 aspect ratio kinda makes sense during this transition period, if it keeps the cost down.

Jan

bill_slenter

Auditioning
I agree. For those who need a new TV now and can't wait another year for HDTV prices to drop (like me), this is a good alternative to a high-end standard TV. No standard TV can beat this picture.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks