What's new

Zenith DVB318 - no sound from coaxial audio (1 Viewer)

Kevin Lee

Auditioning
Hi, all.

Don't use my DVD that often since I have three DirecTV HR10-250 HDTV DVRs. In fact, I've probably used my DVB318 about four times since buying it last October. It has the upconversion over component firmware.

Here's my problem: I just got the third HR10-250 this week and needed the optical audio port on my Onkyo receiver that I was using for the DVB318 so I could hook up this HR10. My Onkyo only has three Toslink inputs on the rear. NBD since the DVB318 has coax audio output. I hooked the DVB318 to the coax input, made the changes in the Onkyo setup, and don't get any sound. I've tried the following: change the coax input to each of the three coax inputs on the Onkyo and made the changes in setup; got a new cable; tried different DVDs; confirmed the DVB318 is set to Bitstream and 96kHz; confirmed the DVD soundtrack was good by switching the DVB318 back to Toslink; confirmed the Onkyo's coax inputs work by hooking up another DVD player by coax audio; confirmed the cable was good by hooking it up to the other DVD player.

I'm out of ideas. Has anyone heard of the coax audio not working on the DVB318? Am I missing something in setup? If I send this in to Zenith for service (I'm out of the labor warranty but still in the parts warranty) am I going to lose the upconvert over component? Would I be better off bringing it into an authorized Zenith repair center?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and for any suggestions.

John S

Senior HTF Member
You are sure the Coax works on the Onkyo? I am currently using the zenith's coax output.

Kevin Lee

Auditioning
Hi, John.

Thanks for replying. Yes, I did confirm the Onkyo is working. I plugged another DVD player into the coax port on the Onkyo and it worked fine.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I'd probably open it up and just see if there is a bad solder connection or something simple myself.

Kevin Lee

Auditioning
Maybe I'll try that. Does anyone know if there's a way to tell if it's been opened. I spoke with Zenith who will swap the unit for a $35 charge. Only problem is I don't know what firmware I'd get and I'm using the component output.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Hmm, I'd probably go with the swap, and not try it then...

$35 for a replacement player is a good deal, heck I couldn't open it and fix a connection problem for $35 of my time I don't think.

Kevin Lee

Auditioning
The swap deal was fine. My only concern is the firmware. I'm using the component cables and want to be able to upconvert. From what I've read, that can't be done with the latest firmware.

John S

Senior HTF Member
The firmware is easily found and changed back, I would not be concerned about that to much at all.

You will need a CD ROM Burner and PC at a minimum though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks