zenith c32v36?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Yusuf, Dec 5, 2003.

1. Yusuf

Yusuf Auditioning

I'm looking for a HDTV CRT monitor (no tuner as I have cable) at or below the $1k price point and I keep coming back to the Zenith C32V36. It seems to have all the feature I want (on paper at least) at a terrific price. Also considering the Sony KV32HS510 but is $400 more.

Anyone out there have the C32V36at home? How do you like it (picture quality, setup, connections, etc)? Any problems with a buzzing from the speakers or other quality/reliability issues?

Thanks.

2. Matt Andrus

Matt Andrus Auditioning

I will be able to let you know my first impressions when mine arrives on Dec. 16th. I got the C32V37 which is essentially the same except this one has the built in tuner. It was so popular that it is back ordered untill the middle of Dec.

3. Yusuf

Yusuf Auditioning

I look forward to reading your review, Matt.
    Interestingly, it seems that the c32v37 has a invar mask but not Faroudja line doubler while the c32v36 has the doubler but no invar shadow mask (according to zenith.com...)

4. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

BrandsMart in Flordia is selling the Zenith 36 Inch C36V23 right now for $998.88 but from what I understand with the Dolby Digital Optical Audio Output there is a lag in the audio compared to the picture so it really can't be hooked to a receiver but it's ok with the sets built-in speakers if you wanted to use it as a stand alone set.

5. Dan McKevitt

Dan McKevitt Auditioning

Hi Bill,

I've read all of the reviews on that model, the C32v23, but is the C32v37 any different?

I will tell you this much - the aesthetic differences between the two are night and day. The case of the V37 looks so much nicer! I've only seen the V37 at bestbuy, so obviously the staff has been no help with any questions regarding the set.

I am really looking forward to hearing if the problems with audio lag and the progressive input have been solved in the V37, because the picture is very nice, the built-in tuner is very convenient, and the price is right. This set could be a great "foot in the door" set for many of use who are interested in HDTV, but a little wary of spending 2500+ on the Sony 34" XBR910 of the Sony LCD line.

6. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Dan, I really don't know much about the sets at all except that I remember reading somewhere? about the audio lag. Maybe it was on Circuit City's owner reviews?

7. Phil_La

Phil_La Stunt Coordinator

I've had the TV for a month now. My first HDTV [​IMG] Here's what I can tell you:

I don't have the buzzing issue.

The menu is easy to navigate. Switching from 4:3 to 16:9 is fast; you just need to press one button. I suppose most HDTVs probably do this just as fast, though.

Switching sources is a little slow. You have to cycle through the list, and each time you highlight a different source, it switches to that source.

I'm overall happy with the picture quality. Though I'm still adjusting the settings. The reds on some DVDs (like Twin Peaks) looked really intense up until today, I think I finally got it set properly.

No problems with connections. I plugged everything in (2 components, s-video, cable tv) then lifted & moved the TV into place. It's heavy and kind of awkward to pick up, though.

8. Matt Andrus

Matt Andrus Auditioning

Phil: Do you know if the remote is a multi brand universal remote, or is it just for other Zenith products?

9. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Zenith Specs. list it as a "Illuminated Universal" Remote.