Zenith (!) and Pioneer announce SACD players!

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Lee Scoggins, Jan 9, 2003.

1. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
  2. Han

Han Second Unit

I'll be interested in how that Pioneer 563 turns out video-wise. The SACD/DVD-A capability is just icing as a low priced entry into high res audio. I'm not expecting anything spectacular out of its audio quality.

3. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

4. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

Just a note, these players do both DVD-A and SACD, not SACD only. If these players have decent performance, they will be absolute steals at this price. The combo Zenith player is listing at $200 and the Pioneer at $270 which means they will street for somewhat less. Surprisingly the same article said Sony will be waiting until later in the year for new SACD player announcements.

J

5. Paul_Medenwaldt

Paul_Medenwaldt Supporting Actor

The combo SACD/DVD-A player will solve my problem later this year. And i'm liking those suggested retail prices!
    Once on the market they should be about $30 - $50 cheaper.
    I was probably expecting a cabling nightmare having to connect a SACD up to my system. Now with the combo system, I can dedicate my DVD player just for movies and the combo player for Hi-Rez audio!!!
    [​IMG]
    Paul

6. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

7. Roberto Carlo

Roberto Carlo Second Unit

Damn! I mean that in the best possible way. [​IMG] I have the current Zenith progressive-scan player and it works very well. My problem, such as it is, is that it's going to be very difficult to resist take the SACD plunge for less than $200. That's a problem because I am still completely hacked-off about the bass-management issue.

8. ReggieW

ReggieW Screenwriter

I don't know guys. I certainly have my reservations about the Zenith. They have never been known to be very good on the audio end of things. If I wanted a sub $300.00 combo player, I would probably consider the upcoming Pioneer instead.

Reg

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

I am very glad to hear about the budget Zenith and Pioneer universal players. The Pioneer unit should be a solid buy. I would expect dealers like OneCall and J&R to have it for around $240-250. It's nice to see that the Pioneer '563A will be silver. It's just a bummer that it won't be out until June.

Hopefully Philips will have some more information on the release of the DVD-963SA at its press conference tomorrow night. I am also eager to hear what else they might have up their sleeve.

The news of no news from Sony is a disappointment. Hopefully some news will be coming soon.

10. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Although Sony is holding off on making new hardware announcements until later in the year, what I feared was happening does seem to be happening: a bifurcation in the market, split between super high-end gear on the one side (e.g., the Sony XA777ES at $3000 - which is actually among the least expensive of the high-end gear) and dodgy mass-market combo players for the home-theater-in-a-box crowd that do all formats but none exceptionally well.

There's a big gap right down the middle for people who crave uncompromised sound quality over the convenience of a one player solution, but at a price only hundreds and hundreds of dollars more than the mass market stuff (not thousands and thousands of dollars more).

This is the fear that drove me to purchase the very last C555ES at Oade Bros. More than ever, I'm glad I did, but nonetheless there needs to be high-quality, affordable players for we audiophile-wannabes with big ears but slim wallets.

11. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee

12. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Lee, how does the 999ES stack up against the 555ES? Do you think we'll again see mid-priced ($500-1000) audio-only SACD players?

13. Sathyan

Sathyan Second Unit

Bump.

OK where is it?

I've preordered the Pio 563 at AudioAdvisor (for $180) and they couldn't give me a definitive date when its coming out. I emailed Pioneer and they only said "in June". Does anyone have more detailed info?

14. Scott Kriefall

Scott Kriefall Second Unit

Scott

15. pitchman

pitchman Screenwriter

Gary

16. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

As of this writing, Crutchfield is giving an ETA of July 14th for the '563A. It looks great for the price, even if it is going to convert DSD to PCM.

17. Paul.S

Paul.S Producer

Paul
    Where are the (advance) print reviews of the Pioneer DV-563A?

Paul

18. Doug Drake

Doug Drake Stunt Coordinator

Ultimate Electronics gave me an approximate date of August 8 for the Pioneer 563a. That is slipped a month from about 7/2. Best Buy has space and a price tag on their shelf ($179) but are not saying when it will be in.

The lack of any press on this, and the complete absence of info on the Pioneer site, is very curious.

19. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

20. Sathyan

Sathyan Second Unit

Here's what my dealer (AA) says: