What's new

Zenith 318 Won't Play, Need Help! (1 Viewer)

Jeremy B.

Stunt Coordinator
I am hooking up my Zenith 318 to my Mitsu 46809 ('02 model). When I hook up to either component input 1 or 2, I get no audio or video, however when I hook up to DTV Component input the unit will play. The only difference I can see is that the Component 1 and 2 input says (480i / 480p YPrPb) and the DTV Component input on the tv says (480p / 720p / 1080i YPrPb/RGB). I am assuming that the RGB is what I am needing for this upscaling 318 Zenith? My problem is that I use my Comcast HD box to plug right into the Component DTV on the back of my Mitsu, so I can not plug the DVD player in there. I do not have a DVI-D input on my tv (I"m assuming it's not new enough). Any ideas on what to do? Am I out of luck and will have to run this unit through S-Video, thus completely making the upscaling portion of the 318 irrelevant? Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Tuan Vo

Stunt Coordinator
If I recall correctly, the Zenith 318 upconverts to 1080i or 720p and because of that, if you don't output progressive which is 480p, then that is why your component input 1 and 2 won't get picture because the output signal on the 318 is 720p / 1080i. That should explain the problem you are having.

Jeremy B.

Stunt Coordinator
Is there any type of "switching" device or anything that will allow me to run both my Comcast HD box and my 318 through the one single 720p/1080i input that I have on the back of my set?

Obviously I am a newbie, and getting ready to purchase my receiver as well. I heard of some receivers having "Component Video Switching", will this do the trick for me?

anthony_b

Screenwriter
Jeremy, yes. All you need is a component switcher. My Yamaha reciever has one. If you go that route, you would need to turn on your reciever anytime you want to watch TV. Try to find a stand-alone component switcher. Maybe radio shack has one.

Tuan Vo

Stunt Coordinator
Theres been alot of threads about component switching. Just make sure whatever you get has HD capability. Sony ES, Pioneer, Yamaha, and Onkyo are some known ones that have HD switching. I personally like the Onkyo since it has 3 component inputs, the most I've seen on a reciever thats at the 400-500 price range. Theres always the Zektor, Audio Authority, and Inday switchers depending if u want to spend 400 - 150 for a switcher. Switchers can give you from 2 to 4 inputs if you need that many hidef.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks