ZenHD520/Tivo/Directv Beware

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Gary PC, Nov 6, 2003.

1. Gary PC

Gary PC Auditioning

I posted earlier about Tivo/ZenHD520/Directv connection. Couldn't get channel changer to work etc after hooking up Tivo. Turns out after many discussions with Tivo/Zenith/Directv, HD520 and Tivo are not compatible. They will not work together and no one has an answer to how to fix it. Seems they have all accepted it won't work and that is that. No remote code available for Tivo remote to work with the HD520. It is extremely frustrating that people that sell this stuff don't tell you in advance or have the knowledge needed to allow you to make a good decision on what to buy. Only concerned about the sale.

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Here is the best list of Tivo's compatibility with cable and sat boxes. The HD520 is listed.

-Robert

3. Gary PC

Gary PC Auditioning

Robert,
    Thank you for your help. After reviewing the info, it does say for Zenith, go to Sony Hd520. Then it says, may not have working code at all based on reports. Again, according to all parties involved, they are saying there is no code.
    Although I wanted Tivo, I am checking to see if ReplayTV is compatible. Thanks again for trying to steer me in the right direction, I appreciate it.

4. Grady Hollums

Grady Hollums Second Unit

Any news on Replay TV? I just bought my Zenith HD-SAT520 and have it hooked up to my VCR, but have always wanted to have a PVR. I would love to just wait for the HD PVRs, but I think it will be a while until the HD PRVs will be in a price range for me. Thanks!

5. Gary PC

Gary PC Auditioning

Replay said HD520 shouldn't be a problem. On balance Tivo and Replay are about the same, except equipment more expensive but service is free. Have concerns about whether Replay will be around in two years with some issues they have. Tivo is much more dominant. Directv has a gread deal on the Tivo combo unit for$99 but only has 35 hours recording time, but could tide me over until the HD Tivo comes out, much cheaper way to go.

6. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert

7. Stephen Tu

Stephen Tu Screenwriter

The DirecTivo combo unit really is by far the best option, so you can record independently. Using a standalone Replay, you wouldn't be able to record anything else while watching HD. Actually I think you won't be able to record anything at all while using HD; IIRC the 520 is one of the older models that don't allow simultaneous HD & 480i output. You'd have to remember to switch back & forth or end up with blank recordings.

And as Robert says, it's 30 hrs (35 is optimistic) perfect video quality; for the standalones you have to cut their advertised capacity by 50-67% to get a comparable number.