What's new

Zelda:WW Demo at Target (1 Viewer)

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
On this board Microsoft's hardware and Nintendo's games have holy status.
Talk about true! I won't say much though, since I contribute to the latter problem given that I only own a Cube and a PC and won't buy a game unless there's a serious chance that I'll like it.

That being said, if I'd paid full price for Luigi's Mansion... oh, I'd be mad. :D

The other thing that's rampant around here is people freaking out if a game doesn't support something like widescreen or 5.1 sound. As if that makes the overall big difference. [begin sarcasm] 'cause you know, Kabuki Warriors would just have no problems at all if it was 16x9 and stereophonic. [end sarcasm]

And I understand that this IS a home theater forum after all, but c'mon, isn't gameplay the basis of all gaming? A lot of us grew up on NES systems that look like trash these days but there are still fun games on the system.

Far as the demo goes, James is obviously just voicing his opinion and that's fine and dandy, not every game is going to appeal to everyone, even high-rankers like Halo and Metroid Prime. We'll see right? I know it took me about an hour to get comfortable with Metroid Prime and really into the game, so maybe Wind Waker has a similar lag factor.

Christ Reynolds

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ
i played the game at the local EB, and was quite impressed. even on the small tv and crappy sound. i can only imagine playing it at home, through dpl2. i think its going to be a great game, i cant wait to get it.

CJ

James T

Screenwriter
I tried it out at EB. It was alright. I thought we got away from the moving the block and jumping puzzles? Maybe it was just that one time.

JoshF

Supporting Actor
I thought we got away from the moving the block and jumping puzzles?
Oh, James. James, James, James. :)

Did we get away from first-person shooters (Halo, Metroid)? Did we get away from hacking and slashing (LOTR:TTT)? Did we get away from casting spells and summoning things (FFX)?

These are videogames we're talking about.

Anyway. I'm anxiously awaiting this game. As of now, I still have to play through the rest of Sly Cooper, Metroid Prime, LOTR:TTT, Super Monkey Ball 2, and the OOT Bonus Disc before I even start it, so I can be patient.

What's more, I still have an ongoing addiction to SOCOM.

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
I was initially very put off by the Link character design but as with most things, it sort of grew on me. As some gamers mature into adulthood, they expect that a franchise's graphical qualities, overall dark and 'badass' content will mature along with them.

Well video game franchises don't always 'grow with the gamer.' Miyamoto is trying to appeal to a whole new generation of gamers with WW. There are elements to WW that will appreciated by all of us, especially all the references to previous Zelda adventures, but there are also elements (especially the graphics) that will immediately draw in younger gamers.

Despite my personal misgivings about the game's aesthetics, I think it's an acceptable compromise. After all, Nintendo's focus is to make games that appeal to as many people as possible, not just people who would rather see Link in a full blown, blood laden RPG for Xbox (I know you're out there).

Joseph

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
There are some games that I feel would benefit from a more mature outlook, notably Final Fantasy (yep, I think it's actually become LESS mature since IV came out ever so long ago), but Zelda doesn't just seem to fit that mold.

I mean really, Zelda is a game more about the thrill of exploration than it is anything else, period. Blood, gore, and detritus is not going to make or break the game (any number of failed fighting games can tell us that much).

In the end, a good game is going to shine through no matter what its trappings are. Metroid really feels like Nintendo's mature franchise now, with Zelda falling in between it and Mario.

That being said, my most fervent wish is that they'd do a souped-up sequel to Eternal Darkness, but ironically I think hell will freeze over first...

James T

Screenwriter
Did we get away from first-person shooters (Halo, Metroid)? Did we get away from hacking and slashing (LOTR:TTT)?
Regarding FPS, no we did not get away from it, but yes it has evolved. Compare Doom to Half-Life. Besides graphics and presentation, there is a huge difference in the games.
The best example with regards to puzzles is Tomb Raider. When Tomb Raider first came out, it was an amazing game. By the time the third one came out, people got tired of moving boxes, setting things on fire to open doors, and finding the blue, green and red keys.

The hack and slash formula has been around for a long time. It worked for Diablo, it continued with Diablo II and I although I haven't played it yet, you can throw in LOTR: TTT. The formula works. It's just like a popcorn flick. There are some movies where you just want to sit down and watch stuff explode and not care about any plot holes or problems with physics. The movie simply exists to entertain.

Spells are different. It's like saying "Why are they still doing Fantasy movies/games?".

Maybe it was just me with my impression of Zelda. I've played every other Zelda game except Majora's Mask and I guess I expected more this time around. Oh well, I don't own a Game Cube, so it won't really bother me if the main problem with the game is dumb puzzles.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Regarding FPS, no we did not get away from it, but yes it has evolved. Compare Doom to Half-Life. Besides graphics and presentation, there is a huge difference in the games
Half-Life is also a few years old already, though. A more recent example of a ground-breaking FPS would be Halo, which above all else was just fun more than anything in terms of innovative design (there were innovative features, but the fun aspect was the best thing of all).

Christopher P

Supporting Actor
Played this for a few minutes today. Seems like it plays alot like the Ocarina of Time - my favorite console game (though I wasn't used to the Gamecube controller). I've always liked Zelda's balance of gamplay, problem-solving, and story-telling. One thing that's always bugged me though...why does Link have to make hi-yah! sounds every time he use his sword? Like why does Mario have to say whoop! every time he jumps? That has alway bugged me about those games, but now I'm being picky. Zelda's never let me down!

Chris

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
:laugh: :laugh:

I never got to psyched about Majora's Mask, but I'm starting to feel like I did back in '98 when waiting for OOT.

Mmm...Zelda. Can't wait till my OOT bonus disc gets here.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Matt-

I didn't get excited about MM as much as I did for OoT, either, but MM was still great.

To tell the truth, I'm more excited about getting the OoT bonus disc (IF I get it) than WW (since it's so far away).

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
You guys remember that Majora's Mask came out just a day or two before Sony launched the PS2s in 2000? I got MM that Wednesday, played it for a few hours, then got my PS2 the next day, and haven't touched MM since.

I'm gonna try to work through the new OOT disc and see what I can do with Majora's before Wind Waker comes out. . .

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
I just played the demo for a bit today at best buy. I thought it was neat. I am looking forward to this (just based off the demo) more than I was for Metroid Prime.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks