Zelda:WW Demo at Target

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by JamesH, Feb 7, 2003.

1. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

Just to let you all know, many Targets have a playable demo of Zelda set up in the kiosks if you want to check it out. I only played a few minutes of it, but I found it VERY underwhelming. What I saw of the graphics was definately not up to par, and the game only runs at 30FPS. It plays just like the older games though, so that's sure to please most people. There are also some videos of Wario World(looking pretty good, hopefully better than Mario Sunshine), and 1080 White Storm(looked OK).

2. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

You may have found it underwhelming because you only played a few minutes of it.

3. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

I played it at EBX yesterday. It's not an *eye-popping* graphic experience but I think the graphics are very charming. Mostly I felt that the game was like the N64 Zelda games with a new paint job and a few added tweaks to the gameplay, so people who dig Zelda will probably be happy and people who can take or leave the series probably won't miss much.

4. Joe michaels

Joe michaels Second Unit

I can usually tell a game in a few minutes whether or not I am impressed or it will be one that will grab my attention. There are a few games that I played longer and became more impressed by but usually I can tell in a few minutes.
    One Kiosk example is Munch's Odyssey. Microsoft didn't put the best of that game up for demo and it WAS better than the demo was able to show but ultimately it was an average game.
    I still want to try the Zelda game but I will rent it first.

5. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

6. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

And also he played it on a 10" monitor with mono sound and a composite video connection.

7. Dave F

Dave F Cinematographer

It's funny how if someone posts a positive review of a demo, everyone nods their heads in approval of how the game is shaping up. But if someone posts a negative review of a demo, it is assumed that the review is inherently flawed. :/

-Dave

8. Romier S

Romier S Producer

James, I've spoken to a few other folks that feel much the same as you. In fact several friends I have at EB have commented on how they disliked the demo so your not alone with some of your feeling towards the game.

With that, I have the demo at home and have played through it extensively (Perk of having those retail friends[​IMG]) and I've enjoyed what I have played so far. Back when Wind Waker was first announced, I was one of the folks that was very worried about the new look and I'll come right out and say it...I really disliked Links new character model.

After having played the demo I can say that I have fallen in love with the new cel-shaded look of the game. Its fits the atmosphere so well and it actually feels like your playing a cartoon (How many remember that old Zelda cartoon that ran with the live action Mario show?[​IMG]). As for framerate, its rock solid. I noticed no instance of slowdown in my time with the demo so I don't see the framerate being an issue at all.

The gameplay is very close to Ocarina and Majora with some nice tweaks such as the ability to pick up enemy weapons and some neat counter moves (which I'm still trying to get the timing down for). At this point the game is a blast to play. I'm loving the sense of exploration and the combat is still as fun as it was in the previous 64 games.

I am hoping that more new gameplay elements are added to the game to keep Wind Waker as "fresh" as possible. I can not make any judgements in that department however because well, its only a demo. I Haven't really been exposed to much of the game as of yet so it would be unfair to knock Wind Waker in that regard.

Some sour points. The camera in my opinion could use a little more attention. Its no where near as problematic as say Super Mario Sunshine but there are some instances where I felt the camera was being less than intuitive. Especially during the platforming section (of which there are a lot more than I expected!)

My final dislike stems from my comment above. I still don't like Links character model as much as the next guy. Its grown on me over time partly because I think the expressiveness in his eyes and face are rather good and do add to the game but I am one of those that would have prefferred a cel-shaded but more traditional looking Link in the end.

Come March I don't think many Zelda fans will be disappointed. The demo shot my anticipation meter WAY up (especially since the demo is so short and in store can even be timed!![​IMG]) and I'm looking forward to using Links boat and seeing how the Wind Wand plays into the game. March can't come soon enough!

9. Michael St. Clair

Did the Panzer Dragoon Orta demo not teach anyone that demos aren't always the best indicator of the game? [​IMG]

10. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

11. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer

12. Scott L

Scott L Producer

Gamers can usually just tell. Example- GT3 = 60 fps, GTA3 = 30 fps. If you can't tell the difference you need a new pair of specs.

13. Michael St. Clair

Even if the demo does run at 30fps, that doesn't mean the game won't run at 60fps.

14. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

15. Michael St. Clair

If you see it side-by-side, it isn't hard to tell 60 unique fields or frames per second from a lesser framerate. Some people can certainly tell without a side-by-side comparison. I think I can fairly accurately.

Being able to tell an exact framerate that is less is a lot harder.

Some developers will lock in 30fps to avoid the obvious drop in framerate from 60fps (if the drop will be happening a lot). There is a philosophy that a steady 30 (if you can achieve it) is better than a framerate that jumps around.

16. JamesH

JamesH Supporting Actor

17. Gary King

Gary King Second Unit

18. Rob_Pierce

Rob_Pierce Second Unit

Back to the subject...

I played the Zelda demo tonight at Circuit City after fighting off hordes of 6 year olds. I don't feel very good about myself right now, but it was worth it.

I thought the demo was fantastic. I only got to play about 5 minutes, but the game played just like OoT (yeah!) and the cel shading was not an issue for me. I didn't play enough to get to see the expressions or other subtle details, but I am extremely happy with my first impression. Considering the 9" screen was about 6" from my face and at an awkward angle, combined with a broken game pad, I can only be thrilled with the game so far. The risk of a first person Metroid paid off and it seems the same is true for the toon shaded Zelda. Come on, March 24!

19. Jeffrey Forner

Jeffrey Forner Screenwriter

20. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I played a demo at a local CC but the controller was totally shot, so I didn't get to do much. The GameStop down the street will probably have a demo up.