What's new

Zelda re-comfirmed at the DICE expo (1 Viewer)

WilliamS

Agent
Shigeru Miyamoto just reiterrated that Zedla will be playable at E3 this May and should be ready for everyone to play by the end of this year.

Mario, Metroid, Eternal Darkness, Star Fox Adventures and Zelda all in the same year? Looks like Nintendo is pulling out the guns.

Source:IGNCube.com

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
Very nice! I'm personally looking forward to seeing more of the new Zelda. Hopefully this playable version will calm down some of the speculation and ire that "Celda" has received this far. In Shiggy we trust.
Starfox is looking to be very impressive also. I'm hoping they include a good amount of flying levels in the game. I'm all for the Zelda style gameplay but I need those flying levels for nostalgia alone:).
Metroid is another one I want ALLOT more info on. Like many others I'm a tad skeptical about the switch to the FPS genre but every game deserves a chance and with Shiggy overseeing the game I'm pretty sure things will work out for the best.
Finally Mario. Nothing much else to say then Bring back the Plumber!:D

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I still think one of these titles will slip to 2003. I can't wait though. I'd love to play all 3.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
If any slip, it will be Zelda. Mario is probably going to be out in Japan not soon after E3 and then close after in America, and Metroid is probably due out in the fall, but Zelda is sort of the Winter game.

Shiggy has said that he hasn't shown any more Zelda footage because people didn't receive the cel-shaded look well, and he doesn't want to add fuel to the fire. If people play it, then they will probably change their minds, which is why he is only making it available in playable form.

Peter Manojlovich

Second Unit
I think all three titles will slip to 2003. Nintendo is the pinocchio of the videogame industry, telling the biggest whoppers around. The other guys bring out this sequel stuff, we bring out original content. Yeah, original content like wave race: blue storm, SSBM, NBA Courtside 2002, Star Wars: Rogue Leader.

This recent pr tour is reminescent of previous nintendo pr tours where they tried to distract gamers from reallizing, that there is absolultely nothing of interest coming out for the gamecube until june at the earliest. When pressed about the release dates for metroid, zelda, and mario, he says they will try to make them out for this year, but, sometimes, they're late. Sometimes? When was Nintendo not late with a game or system? When I see stuff like Animal Forest Plus being prepped for a fall u.s. release, I ask the obvious. Why? The answer. You need something to fill in if the other stuff slips. Remember, eternal darkness, now a june title, was initially announced as a launch gc title. Of course, does anyone actually believe that eternal darkness or Starfox will actually see light of day in June. Don't count on it. Nintendo's bread and butter are younger gamers. Releasing games at the end of the school year when the kids will be outside or on vacation somewhere doesn't make much sense. Don't be suprised to see these titles delayed to late august, september.

Keep in mind, that in the past, that nintendo marketing has repeatedly stated that their target audience is under 16. Why 16? Because at 16, you qualify for a driver's licence, and a teenager's disposable income begins shifting away from toys and videogames to stuff like gas money, saving up for a clunker,etc.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
First of all, SW:RL and NBA Courtside are not made by Nintendo.

Second, most would consider the quality of the games worth the wait.

Third, Star Fox Adventure is being made by Rare, and Rare usually doesn't slip on release dates because they don't announce them until they are certain. They might say a year or even a season, but they won't give a month or a day without knowing. (at least, thats what I think. I don't remember any situations where they have pinned down a release date and missed it. If anyone points one, or more, out, then I will gladly stand corrected)

Fourth, Metroid is being developed by a second party, not Nintendo. If any game is delayed because of Nintendo, it would be Zelda since the others are not being made in house at Nintendo.

Fifth, summer is a good time to release games, just like the holidays and spring break. Summer doesn't mean "kids outside having fun," summer means "kids not in school and having nothing to do." Its not always sunny in summer, and there are a lot of parties, so at those times (along with any other free time kids have) can be spent playing videogames.

Not trying to be an ass or anything (can I say ass in a thread about Nintendo?) but you aren't exactly right on some points.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
but you aren't exactly right on some points.
Nor are you on some of your points about Rare not slipping dates. Here you go:
Click here
Click here
I also seem to remember GOldeneye hitting some snags as well. Just wanted to straighten that out. Though I do not think that ALL of these titles will slip to 2003. I do think that Zelda will be delayed. Mario is a definite for this summer (Nintendo NEEDS this title) as is Star Fox.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
Thank you for pointing those out.

Then again, the game (Perfect Dark, see the articles) was delayed by like what, two weeks? That's not exactly the Nintendo-style delay. Usually, they will announce something a year and a half before it comes out, or announce a game to be in progress for years before its release. A week or so is not that big of a deal.

My point was that based on Rare's track record, SFA will be out this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks