Zelda questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Greg_S_H, Feb 3, 2003.

1. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    In preparation for the upcoming Zelda releases, I've been playing some of the older games. I recently finished replaying Link's Awakening and am now on Oracle of Seasons (with Ages to follow). I love these games: the cute characters, the humorous sub-quests, the dungeons. Even with favorite games, there comes a point where I'm ready for the wrap-up. As far as I'm concerned, these quests could go on forever.

Anyway, I never had an N64, so I never played Ocarina. How does it compare? Does it feel like the overhead games, only in 3D? Or, did the move to 3D necessitate a change in fundamental gameplay? How well was this game received by the Zelda fans?

Also, I plan to get a GBA: SP soon after it's released (mainly for Metroid Fusion). I wasn't planning to get A Link to the Past until I remembered I gave my SNES to my sister. I haven't played it since before I played Link's Awakening back in the early '90s, so I'm sure it'll be fun. But, I'd like to see an all-new overhead game. Do you think the odds are good we'll see one in the near (or distant) future?

2. David Williams

David Williams Cinematographer

3. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Well, having played the overhead Zeldas recently myself, I can tell you that Ocarina doesn't quite play like them, but that it works. Think Metroid Prime-nobody thought it could work in 3d, but it did. Somehow, the gameplay just clicked. The quests etc. are similar to the old games, but just in a different perspective. Dungeons now had a vertical component as well, making gadgets like the hookshot that much more interesting.

4. Steven_V

Steven_V Stunt Coordinator

The majority of Zelda fans loved Ocarina of Time. BTW, OoT is currently the highest ranking game, across all console/PC systems, over at GameRankings.com. [​IMG]

OoT features the same sense of exploration as the earlier Zelda games did. I think OoT has a more "epic" feel to it than any other Zelda game. Just wait until you see the amazing "dungeon" level designs and boss battles.

The only minor complaint some had with OoT, was the lack of enemies in the overworld areas compared to the earlier Zelda games. Nintendo heard the complaints and included more overworld enemies in the N64 sequel, Majora's Mask.

As a long time Zelda fan, I highly recommend both Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. Both games live up to the "Zelda" name they carry! [​IMG]

5. JoshF

JoshF Supporting Actor

Hmm. I like how Wind Waker is already #5 in the all-time list at GameRankings.com. No, no fanboys with lots of time on their hands there. Oh, no. [​IMG]

6. Greg_S_H

Greg
    Thanks for the responses, folks. Sounds like I'm in for a real treat. I doubt if I'll pick up an N64, so--assuming I like OoT--I hope Majora will somehow make it out for the Cube.

Chris, I was thinking that was probably going to be the case--that the gameplay would have to change. Glad to hear they managed to capture the Zelda feel anyway. The Metroid Prime comparison is particularly relieving; MP definitely changed to accomodate the first-person perspective, but they managed to retain the feel perfectly.

7. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

You could get Majora's Mask for N64 and then just get the preorder disc with The Wind Waker for OoT.

8. Greg_S_H

Greg
    I've got WW on preorder, so I should have OoT very soon. I don't think I'll get an N64 just for Majora, even though there are other games like Perfect Dark and Goldeneye that would be fun. I think in the other thread it was speculated that Majora may be offered as a preorder for a future Zelda game. I don't know if that's based on anything, but I'll wait and see if anything comes of that.

9. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I wouldn't be surprised if Majora made it out for the cube as well, but if not I'd highly recommend picking it up. If even if you can borrow an N64 from someone, it's a fantastic game that took a familiar formula and did something new and original.

10. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

11. Jason Borchers

Jason Borchers Second Unit

12. Steven_V

Steven_V Stunt Coordinator