What's new

zelda preorder (1 Viewer)

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
No, but my copy should be at EB as we speak. They called yesterday and said that they'll have them at Noon today. Will be getting it this afternoon...

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Ah good, that means my copy should hit Nova Scotia sometime around the end of the week, given shipping and other yadda yadda. Thanks Chris.

DonRoeber

Screenwriter
Awesome, thanks Dave. I picked up my copy yesterday, and have two feet of snow today! Needless to say, I'm loving this!

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Got it! Only thing I've noticed so far (in the 3 minutes that I played) is that there's a bit of noticeable load time when you bring up the subscreen.

I like free games!

Jason Quillen

Supporting Actor
So heres a slightly off topic question - For the custom made covers linked above, how does one go about printing those (so it looks good, etc)? I mean, I have a decent HP printer, but I know if I attempted to print one of those the image would just look bad. And is there some kind of thicker card paper your supposed to use? I only ask because some of those covers are amazing, and Ocarina's box art is kinda ugly - but I've never had the desire to replace any of my DVD's art, so I don't know anything about it.
Anyway, so I'm not accused of thread jacking, I got my copy of Ocarina a week ago, but I just had the chance to play it this past Friday (No classes on Friday this semester :) ) - add in UD's decision to cancel all classes on Monday and Tuesday this week because of the snow storm, and you can see that I had plenty of time to play video games over the past couple days. Ocarina is great, I don't think I had played it at all since I beat it all those years ago, so I'm having a blast. It's classic Zelda fun...can't beat that. I'm pumped for Wind Walker, and theres no better way to get ready then playing one of the classic's.
JQ

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Here's a little of what the Adrenaline Vault said about Ocarina yesterday:

Ocarina of Time is a simple port of the N64 game - but Nintendo took the time to make the images look a little sharper and take the roughness off the textures and models. Another challenge they had was dealing with the new controller scheme. The controls are just as responsive as the N64 version - but take getting used to because Nintendo didn't changing the game's text or its interface. This means that the characters that assist you and the onscreen selection area for your items are still mapped to the C buttons - not the new layout that the GameCube controller uses. It takes getting used to – but this control issue is the only major problem with the port.
Maybe I'm misreading this, but what are they talking about? I never had the N64 version, but the text clearly corresponds to the GameCube controller. I'm having no problems in that regard.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member
but Nintendo took the time to make the images look a little sharper and take the roughness off the textures and models.
I threw in Ocarina on my N64 yesterday for the heck of it to do a side by side and its quite noticeable. Its as if someone lifted a large veil of haze off of the game and let the colors and textures come through (This comparison was done on S-video connections for both versions for those curious). All in all an excellent job by Nintendo IMHO.

EDIT: Also the game looks even more lovely in 480p.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I started playing through Ocarina for N64. Maybe I'll get the disc some time soon so I can compare Ocarina for N64 with Master Quest for GameCube.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
If I can change the subject for just a minute, which Ocarina CD is the one to get? There's one with a picture of the ocarina on the front, and it has 13 tracks. Another has young and old Link in the center, with characters from the game all around. It has 82 tracks. Are both of these legitimate releases? Which do you recommend?
To get back on topic, this bonus disc has been my first time to play OOT. My first reaction when it first started was that it was hideous: the pre-rendered interiors, the low-res textures, etc. I wasn't sure I would ever become comfortable with the controls. Many, many hours later, that's all changed.* The controls work well, and I really like the way the game looks. I don't want to mention anything specifically for those who haven't played it, but I'm at a part right now that looks outstandingly good. Textures are still low-res, but they seem to work for the game. And, the pre-rendered interiors don't seem as prominent outside of the towns. Still, that was a strange decision. If, say, the professor's lab can be rendered on the fly, why do other interiors have to be pre-rendered? Strange.
And, of course, the game itself is wonderful. It's definitely Zelda in 3D, rather than a 3D game with the Zelda name and characters. That's a hard thing to do, but Nintendo does it pretty well. I do wish I didn't have to lean on the GameFAQs crutch as much as I do. At least one sticking point, I know I would have never figured out what to do without going there. :frowning: At least I'm not the only one. OOT GC and N64 are both in the GameFAQs top ten most viewed right now. :laugh:
* - Which is not to say it took many hours to change my mind. :)

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
You could spoiler tag the section you're at if you want to tell us where you are.

If you play the game on the N64, you'll see how the GCN disc is an improvement, and how the original N64 game was pretty damn impressive for what it was at the time compared to what else was on the N64.

Masood Ali

Supporting Actor
Who has the cheapest pre-sell? I know officially Nintendo is asking for a $15 deposit from consumers, but is there any place that has it for less?

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I'm still amazed that Nintendo actually released OoT here. I'm also amazed that I found my old strategy guide in the first box that I looked in. :)
-Dave

Jeffrey Forner

Screenwriter
Masood;

Why the need to put less money down on the disc? That $15 will be $15 less money you have to give them when The Wind Waker debuts next month. You will spend it anyway, so why not just do it now and be done with it?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Morgan, when I typed that, I was at the
entrance to the Spirit Temple. I thought the sandstorm effects were fantastic. Probably wouldn't have been a big deal to leave this unspoilerized, but maybe people want to be surprised by blowing sand. :)
The place where I was stuck and really needed to fall back on GameFAQs was finding the Lens of Truth. I read the controls part of the manual, but skipped the story part so it would be fresh when I played it. As a result, I didn't even know Link could go back to being a child, and I can guarantee you I would have wandered around for hours and never once gone back to the Temple of Time if I hadn't read a FAQ. I guess the clues were there; the guy in the windmill was pretty mad about something I had done in the past (which I had not done at that point), so I should have considered it. Still, it made me a little angry when I got to the Spirit Temple much later and Zelda told me I could go back in time. Why not tell me that in the cinematic before the Shadow Temple? I didn't need her to tell me that at the Spirit Temple because: a) I'd already gone back in time, so I knew all about it; and b) the crawl passage was a dead giveaway, as was the cobra's message about a childlike heart.
Oh, well. I feel "dirty" having to use GameFAQs, but I'll get over it. I'm at Ganon's Castle now, and I can only hope I can make it from here in without help.

Mark Evans

Supporting Actor
Whee, this is fun stuff. I just got up to the point I'd played Ocarina of Time to, which was the end of the Deku Tree :D. Needless to say, many hours left to play with it.
Ahh, and those movies on the preview disc are great! F-Zero looked very cool. And I really, really still don't get people's objections to the new Zelda look, it looks fantastic in that preview!
Well, well worth it!

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
Greg,
The one with 82 tracks is music DIRECTLY from the game. The other CD is re-orchestrated. I have both, and they're both very good.

Mike

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I know a friend who can get me this disc for $10 (he works at a Wal-Mart). I'm not sure if I could use the receipt to get the discount in the future or not, but I'm considering getting him to grab it for me.

Then again, I know at least 3 people who are willing to let me borrow the disc when they're done, which shouldn't be long from now, since they all show little interest in beating everything in the game beyond the dungeons and final boss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks