What's new

Zelda & LOTR???!!!!! (1 Viewer)

paul:hillsdon

Stunt Coordinator
I know this probably isn't in the right thread, but no one pays muh attention to the Video Games section!

I found these new screenshots from E3 for the new Zelda game that's coming out in 2005. What does this have to do with LOTR you ask? Take a look at these:

Click here to see the pics Look at # 5 & 9 & 10. Can anyone say, RIPOFF!!!!!

What's a matter Nintendo, don't have any original ideas left so you have to fill an old franchise with stolen characters????

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member

Well, not all of us are interested in the video games section. But we are aware it exists so is there really a need to go elsewhere to post VG news?

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
This should be in the Video Game Software section.

And I've noticed that alot of recent Fantasy/RPG games have "ripped off" LOTR. The latest Final Fantasy is a recent example. This is what happens when a film series like LOTR becomes a huge hit.

Ricardo C

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ricardo C
Forget about the homages to LOTR, look at those graphics... Holy crap. As much as I loved the cell-shaded look of Windwaker, this looks ready to make it seems as dated as Ocarina of Time.

Alanna

Second Unit
Ha! Games have been so-called "ripping off" LOTR since the beginning of gaming. Its not a recent phenomenon. Atleast the hog creatures in Zelda loosely date back to the very first game back in the mid 80s. Atleast the game looks awesomely cool and was the ONLY thing Nintendo had at E3 that stirred interest. Everything was known, expected, or who gives a crap?

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I think the game is gorgeous. I can't wait.

As far as comparisons to LOTR go, that's ridiculous. It isn't as if these elements aren't well within the Zelda genre/mythos already.

Did anyone watch the video?

James T

Screenwriter
Games rip off movies all the time. I posted a shot of the coverbox of Metal Gear, a while back, and compared it with a promotional shot in The Terminator's Michael Behin. It's the exact same pose and equipment, but no one really cared.

Even that new Onimusha game looks like they're using Jean Reno as a main character. There's a bunch of other games that have main characters similar to movie actors.

BobP

Stunt Coordinator
I will agree that when Link is riding Epona and attacking the other riders that it looks like they are ripping off LOTR. However, those that say(on other sites and some may think here) the flaming creature is a rip-off of the Balrog it is not that simple. The flaming part I agree, but if you recall back to Ocarina of Time the last battle against Ganon when he becomes the monster is very similar to the creature in this trailer.

Overall this game looks stellar, Metroid Echoes, Pikmin 2,
RE 4 and Halo 2 on the Box will easily keep me busy until this comes out.

AndyVX

Supporting Actor
Come on now... anything fantasy takes its roots from LOTR in one way or another. Don't be so quick to diss Zelda/Nintendo. :)

A

Andrew_A_Paul

Tolkien created fantasy. Just about everything Sci-Fi/fantasy borrows from the world Tolkien created; orcs, goblins, elves, etc.....

Calvin Watts III

Supporting Actor
Zelda has had its own story & gameplay for a long time now. How many games have taken ideas from that franchise?

As for the LOTR comparsion,yes of course there are things taken from the Tolkein stuff that are used everywhere.

So what?

I sure as heck wouldn't call this a blantant ripoff,especially since LOTR has had its own share of videogames,some good,some downright awful.

And personally,if you don't happen to play videogames,then you aren't in a position to shout ripoff.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks