Zelda: Breath of the wild thoughts, Qs, hints and experiences

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Sam Posten, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

So the final boss in a 15-year-old videogame that is from a series that features that same boss as the final boss in nearly every main entry going back over 30 years...is a spoiler? I mean, in the strict sense of "I didn't know this but now I do," yes it's a spoiler. But is it a, "You've shattered my world and ruined the 20 hour experience by telling me the identity of the guy you fight in the last 10 minutes" kind of spoiler?

When BotW came out, Nintendo announced on their twitter feed that there were flowers called "Silent Princess" and groups of people on the internet freaked out at this spoiler. Recently, Nintendo's official Mario Odyssey website had art on it's page that people thought was a spoiler.

Where does the spoiler hysteria end? It's just videogames. It's not like we're revealing the modern equivalent of "Aeris gets killed by Sephiroth halfway through" or "the bad guy was manipulating you the whole time."

2. Bryan^H

Bryan^H Producer

To be fair, some video games are much more important to some players than others. Would a spoiler for a Mario, or Zelda game bug me? Not really. But lets say I devoted 100+ hours on a great RPG with a fascinating, brilliant storyline. I would be really upset if I learned of the ending for it before I beat the game.

To each their own, but video games are an entertainment medium, no less important than a TV show, book, or movie. They should be respectfully treated in the same regard.

3. Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper Screenwriter

Don't worry. You're still safe, because Bowser is NOT the final boss of Super Mario Sunshine.

It's Bowser Jr! ;)

To me a spoiler for that would be something like Princess Peach is the final boss and she has been playing Mario all along and is finally revealed to be the evil bitch she really is.

4. 104 Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017
    LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    It's the truth, but I added the sad face for dramatic effect since it really didn't bother me any. I was just having some fun. :)

I'm not sure that there's anyone that plays this series for the flimsy storyline, although this one sounded like a surprise twist that was unexpected.

I had started this back around 2004 and played for an hour or so, but just never got around to actually playing it seriously. There's certainly no hint early on that it's a traditional foe of Mario that's behind everything.

laser likes this.
  5. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Something like a 100-hour RPG having a dramatic twist, yeah, a spoiler could be a big deal. RPGs are built on their open world, their battle systems, and their stories. The story is the one thing that you need to not spoil the most. In this situation, I would totally understand someone being upset to learn about the final boss. I just don't think Zelda fits that mold since the final boss is almost always Ganon or Ganondorf (which is basically Ganon). Further, the appeal of Zelda games is rarely related to something like the name/identity of the final boss, in so much as you spend the whole game exploring and doing side quests and the bosses are more like the cherries on top rather than the final crucial element to the experience.

Looking at Mario games, I'm not sure I'd really consider anything in a regular platforming Mario game to be a spoiler. Unless there's some really cool and quirky puzzle (which I am at a total loss for an example) then I don't know if there's a way to spoil, say, Super Mario 64 or New Super Mario Bros. very much. The final boss is usually Bowser (or a Bowser family member) and you jump around for 10 hours. The graphics are nice, things are fun. There's no core to the game that ties everything together that you discover as a fact (like a story beat, rather than an experience, like how fun it is to run around and jump) that gets ruined if you learn about it.

And if we get into the idea of spoilers being too subjective ("to some people, knowing Bowser is the final boss IS a spoiler") then we may as well not talk about anything for fear that literally anything is a spoiler.

6. laser

laser Stunt Coordinator

Matty
    To some people, anything after the inital reveal of a game (where generally just the concept, art style, and world outline is shown) is a spoiler. But that's outside the scope of this thread, which, based on the title, is a place where people currently playing BotW can go to get help. ANY final boss discussion should be off limits here, unless a spoiler warning gets added to the title.

7. Jeff Cooper

Jeff Cooper Screenwriter

Well, what if they need help with the final boss? :D

8. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Is the fact that the game even has a final boss considered a spoiler?

9. Edwin-S

Edwin-S Lead Actor
    Supporter

Easiest way to avoid issues is to not use names. In other words, I beat the fnal boss. It was tough. Or I beat stage two of the final boss. It was tough.

No names needed. Seems simple to me. Although, in the case of BoTW, the game has been out long enough that I'm pretty sure that the name of the final boss could be found all over the internet by now. Hard to avoid it if a person likes to frequent gaming sites, I would think.

10. laser

laser Stunt Coordinator

Matty
    That would be like the game not having Link. Besides, Calamity Ganon is hyped up as the big bad right after the training area. HOW you fight him is still a complete mystery at that point, though.